Disk to disk transfer on PR4100

I am trying to copy files from a 750GB drive (HD from a dead laptop) to my PR4100 for archive. I’m using a PC to manage the operation. BTW, the laptop HD is using a SARBENT SATA-II to USB 3.0 adapter.

The XFER rate is a miserable 20MB/s. I was originally using the PC with wireless only and was even worse at 1-2MB/s which I then changed to 1GB/s ethernet connection to achieve the 20MB/s rate.

I have the laptop HD plugged directly pluuged into the PR4100’s front USB port.

To me, it looks like the PC is in the data path. Can I do a direct disk-to-disk transfer on the PR4100, avoiding the PC and so increasing the transfer rate ?

You may want to ask your question (if you haven’t already) in the dedicated PR series subfroum where people more knowledgeable about those units may be able to assist.

https://community.wd.com/c/network-attached-storage/wd-pro-series

For the single bay My Cloud units, the subject of this subforum, one can attach a USB drive to the single bay My Cloud USB port and copy data, however the data transfer rate is typically not very high (not the max capable of a USB 3.0 port). Instead WD recommends, for the single bay My Cloud units, to attach the USB drive to a computer and copy the data to the My Cloud. It is best to use a wired gigabit connection for both the computer and the My cloud. Wireless is almost always slower than wired Gigabit.

There are a number of factors, including file size and number of files, that can impact the speed of data copying to a My Cloud.

Bennor,
Thanks for the suggestion of using the PR4100 specific forum.
I think this was a general question for WD NAS devices. Seems like there is no capability to do a disk-to-disk DMA transfer.
Seems a bit nuts to me that the 2 drives are presumably connected on a high speed bus but cannot talk to each other directly but need to copy the data over the network. But what do I know :slight_smile:
Have a great day…