Disk Recovery Differences between Raid 1 and Raid 5

In choosing between Raid 1 and Raid 5 configuration for the PR4100 I would like to know that once my volume is degraded due to a single disk failure, can I access my data to copy it to a backup drive before attempting to rebuild the volume on a replacement drive? My understanding is that while I am rebuilding the replacement drive, my volume is not available (for both Raid 1 and Raid 5). Is this correct? I have read that rebuilding can take a long time (days), and I do not want to be locked out of access to my data if possible.

Thank you, Philip

What are the advantages of Raid 1 over Raid 5 in PR4100 for data recovery?

I realize that separate backup is necessary and I intend to use my existing two NAS’s (a 2 TB MyCloud Mirror; and a 4 TB Dlink DNS 343) as backup to my PR-4100. What are the drawbacks you refer to with Raid 1?

So you are recommending I use JBOD with a robust backup strategy rather than any RAID redundancy?

1 Like

In Raid 5, data can be recovered when the Raid is working. Recovery is faster in Raid 1. Recovery is slow in Raid 5 due to parity and calculations for rebuilding the data storage. Raid 1 does not do any error correction and detection whereas Raid 5 has many techniques for error correction and detection.

paycheckrecords