"Disk Not Ejected Properly" alert appears after unplugging & plugging back in Blue Yeti mic

Every time I unplug and plug back in my Blue Yeti microphone to my Mac Studio, I get an alert saying that my WD Elements Desktop hard drive (used for Time Machine backups) was not ejected properly although I never disconnected or turned off my Elements hard drive myself. Here is what the alert says every time:

Disk Not Ejected Properly
Eject “[name of my Elements hard drive]” before disconnecting or turning it off.

It appears that unplugging & plugging back in of my Blue Yeti microphone triggers the improper ejection of my Elements hard drive, but then the disconnected external hard drive gets reconnected automatically soon after.

Is this expected? Why is this happening? Are these inadvertent disconnections & reconnections of my Elements hard drive affecting my Time Machine backups? If so, how can I fix this?

Thank you.

The ‘Disk Not Ejected Properly’ notification shows up on your Mac, indicates that there are errors in your operating system, or on the connected external drives, or in the connections between your external drives and the Mac.

More specifically, the reasons why the message ‘Disk Not Ejected Properly’ appear on your Mac are as follows:

1. Errors in the operating system
  2. Problems in the removable hard drive
  3. Failing external drive cable
  4. The USB or other ports on the Mac computer are defective

Further, to fix the ‘Disk Not Ejected Properly’ notifications issue in macOS Monterey, Big Sur, Catalina, you can try the below DIY methods:

1. Check the connections
  2. Reset the Energy Saver settings on your Mac
  3. Reset SMC on Mac
  4. Reset NVRAM on Mac
  5. Run First Aid to check your external hard drive
  6. Reformat the external hard drive
  7. Update macOS

Hope it helps!

1 Like

Thank you so much @Jose2020 for your detailed explanation :joy: It looks like I need to reinstall macOS… :cry: