Disk Load cycle Count

Can people share the disk load cycles of their disk?

Command in sigle bay Gen2: smartctl --all /dev/sda

Mine:
Power_on_hours: 341
Load_Cycle_count: 88

After last update
Power_on_hours: 786
Load_Cycle_count: 450 :rage:

Hi TM2017,

Is that a red drive? Those are designed for high duty cycle. This means the drive is designed to be accessed constantly. The high Park cycle count means that the drive is simply not being accessed very much. Let’s see if other users can share their numbers.

I am driving a gen2, but have not upgraded to the newest firmware. (I rather like keeping Fox_exe’s application exploit working.) That said, here are my cycle counts.

Power_On_Hours 5234
Load_Cycle_Count 2237

Yes I think I have a red one. But I think the load is increasing exponentially. Just wondering if this is normal

Looks like the Gen2s still have the head park bug. I figured out how to stop it on my Gen1.

Good post on it here, with the command to stop it using smartctl.

I have a single bay 4 TB Gen 1 and have never upgraded the firmware.

$ smartctl --all /dev/sda | egrep 'Device Model|Power_On_Hours|Load_Cycle_Count' | awk '{if(NR>1){print
 $2, $NF}else print}'
Device Model:     WDC WD40EFRX-68WT0N0
Power_On_Hours 13840
Load_Cycle_Count 11177

(maybe the output of smartctl --all is different between Gen 1 and Gen 2, I had to add on postprocessing to match O.P.'s output).

I confirmed at WD Red Model Numbers Mapped that the WD40EFRX is a WD Red (wu hu!).

13840 hrs = ~ 576 days

Not sure what to make of Load_Cycle_Count value. Does that demonstrate the head park bug?

Thanks @JAC70 : here’s that output

$ hdparm -J /dev/sda
/dev/sda:
 wdidle3      = 300 secs (or 13.8 secs for older drives)

I know I have read miles of threads here about head park bug, but could you please summarize? I’m guessing this means if no activity after 5 minutes then the head gets parked until it is needed again. but is that a good thing or a bad thing? ;- ) (I hate graphic emojis!) ;- >

Edit: @JAC70 : Oops, I see your posting is actually about the head park bug and it’s only a 1/4 of mile long. Will read it first thing tomorrow. Thanks!

Run
hdparm -J /dev/sda

Hi, Just checked now my disk status:

Power_on_hours: 341
Load_Cycle_count: 88

Power_on_hours: 786
Load_Cycle_count: 450

Power_on_hours: 2087
Load_Cycle_count: 2833

Is this normal behaviour? the load is increasing exponentially.

I see that the disk enter in sleep mode several times per day and wakeup after a while, is this affecting the load_cycle_count?

Hello again, just wanted to share that with the drive sleep mode disable the LCC is no more increasing exponentially. I have already open a case with WD support, because this mode is killing the drive.

1 Like