Disappointed

Hi,

after using the Mini for a while I am totally disappointed by the weak user interface and capabilities of the software. No album cover art or other functions which make life easier to browse and find movies is absolutely poor.

I am jealous about the 3rd party software for the other WDTV models and have no clue why a device is delivered with such a weak equipment:angry:.

Disappointed regards,

Christian

From what I understand the Mini was designed for places with low bandwith availablity. It supports Realtime files which are extremly small but low quality. The other models seem to be designed for a higher bandwifth market (i.e. for people who will have larger and more complex file types). WD is usually good at making a different device for different kinds of customers- sounds like you just didnā€™t get the one that was right for you.

For a thing I bought for $30 I find it hard to be disappointedā€¦

Found some information regarding cover art and such;

Folder Thumbnails

Video:

1. Name the .jpg picture that you want displayed on the folder to folder.jpg or the thumbnail will not display. If the image is a .bmp, .tif, or any other format, it will not work.
  2. If no ā€œfolder.jpgā€ file is found, display the first cover art ( This can also include a .MP4 with an embedded .jpg image).
  3. If no cover art is available, the WD TV will display the first supported photo in the folder.

File Thumbnails

Video:

1. The WD TV will display .mp4 files with an embedded .jpg image, if the embedded image exists or is supported.
  2. If an embedded image cannot be found, WD TV will display an image file with the same name as the movie (for example ā€œVideo.mkvā€ will be associated with ā€œVideo.jpgā€).

Taken from : http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2742&p_created=1227235132