Difficulties installing used Seagate Barracuda on my new EX2

I purchased a WD EX2 Ultra without disks with the idea to use my own (used) Seagate Barracuda 4TB HDD (model ST4000DM000 which is on the supported HDD list for the EX2).

Initially the disk is recognised and in good health, however upon allocating the RAID typy (JBOD for the time being) the disk does not pass the DST test (bad health) that is run by the EX2 software. Using Seagate utilities I checked my HDD and according to Seagate it is in good condition.

what is going wrong here, is WD applying a different standard on its disk self-tests? And also is there a way to bypass the DST, as I am really keen to keep using my own disk that has been operating flawless so far.

I am suspecting the EX2 software…Any thoughts or possible solutions would be helpfull

Arjan

Hi jabijl,

WD drives in a My Cloud Enclosure are hardware encrypted and Western Digital always recommend to use WD Red drives in My Cloud. You should try to check with WD Red drives in My Cloud enclosure.

Issue solved eventually; I used a external 3.5" housing to connect my hdd directly to my PC. Using diskmanager I deleted all partitions and wiped the hdd. After this it was recognised by the WD NAS and was formatted automatically with the correct file system, however disk status was still “bad”. After a WD EX2 firmwar update this was solved (different tresholds in DST?)

anyway it works fine for me now!

Please jabijl, can you suggest procedure? Firmware update without My Cloud EX2 installation
Your procedure didnt work, disks (Segate ST2000DM008) still not recognized. HDD LEDs are still blank.