Different subnets, PC not detected. Howto?

Hi all, I bave this scenario: WDTV Live is connected to my first router with IP 192.168.20.xxx My first router routes to’ network 192.168.40.xxx that is the network where my PC is. I need WDTV Live to see my PC’s shares. I can transfer files from pc to wd, but I cannot stream. How to force wdtv to search in the 192.168.40.xxx network? TIA Luca

Either put it in local DNS (if you are tech-savvy and have access to DNS)

OR

You can slap it in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Oh, never mind, you’re trying to go the other way around… Looks like you have to get it into DNS somehow.

JOOC why two routers?

I can get into DNS… but what have I to do in it?

My Cable Router → WiFi Router 1 → WiFi Router 2 in client mode attached via WiFi to WiFi Router 1.

On WiFi Router 2 I have all of my TV apparels (TV, WDTV, and so on).

On WiFi Router 1 I have my PCs.

I don’t want cables in my house :wink:

OK good, but do you really need them to route? Do you really need more then one subnet?

If not you can simplify things by just setting them up as an Access Point and Access Point Client

Is this what you are doing?

http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=4202

There are non-routable protocols in use in some consumer networked devices that can make life difficult if you have more then one subnet.

Hi I do not need two networks, but my second WiFi Router is this:

http://www.tp-link.com/english/soft/2008716160729.pdf

If you read page 9, it can work as AP Client mode, but I don’t know if it can be used as it was a client-bridge router.

I think that in AP mode you create 2 different networks.

Do you think it is different?

Because I also thought to tr changing subnet mask from 255.255.255.0 to 255.255.0.0… it could be another idea.

What do you think about it?

I’m with the previous poster, having two different subnets in a home network doesn’t make any sense, you can include the 2nd router’s IP in the first router’s subnet and merge the two together.

On top of that, wireless and HD video streaming don’t really mix that well, so if you put not just one but two wireless links in between the WDTV and the PCs that store your media, it would be really a miracle if you can watch anything without stutter galore. At the very least wire one of the links, though the optimal thing to do would be to wire both.

I tried yesterday with only one WiFi router and I can stream 9 Gbyte MKW flawlessly.

Anyway, you say:

“you can include the 2nd router’s IP in the first router’s subnet and merge the two together.”

How can I do it via WiFi if not using client-bridge mode?

Thx

I think part of the confusion here may be the terminology.

Check the following:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_router

A “wireless router” typically can provide the functions of a router, a firewall, a switch and a wireless access point. Instead of using an “all in one” device, it is also possible to have separate devices performing these functions.

For example in my home a SonicWall TZ100 performs the routing and firewall functions. The switches are Netgear ProSafe and HP ProCurve devices. The wireless access points are Bandspeed Air Maestro devices.

I was not able to follow the link you gave but if your device is capable of routing it will probably have one network connection likely labled WAN and one (or more) connections labled LAN.

If you have cables connected to both ports then you are connected to use it as a router. If you only have cables connected to the LAN port(s) then you may only be using it as a switch or wireless access point / client.

So if you could provide a link to the manufacture’s web page for the device and a bit more information on how the devices are connected we will be better able to advise if you setup needs changing.

1 Like

Have you check your subnet mask? You have 2 separates networks here.

I will take longer to broadcast for 255.255 . Why don’t you just make the second router as access point?

Disable DHCP and give the second router an IP same subnet.

Hi, I have 2 WIFI router.

I mean both with WAN and LAN ports and WiFi support.

The first one is a Linksys WRT54GL. I have Internet Cable in WAN port and a PC in one LAN port. the other PC’s are connected wirelessely.

Moreover it is my DHCP for network 192.168.20.xxx

The second router (TP-Link one) as WISP feature.

WISP is Wireless Internet Service Provider.

This means that it can take signal from WiFi and broadcast to its LAN ports (if you enable this geature the WAN port is automatically disabled and the WAN router configuration is referred to WiFi reception).

So my TP-Link takes signal from Linksys. It act as an AP-Client mode giving to its LAN ports its own IP addresses (if you configure DHCP).

It routes packet from/to LAN ports to WiFi port.

This is why it has 192.168.40.xxx network.

My WD TV Live is connected to TP-Link.

Hope having been clear this time :slight_smile:

Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

OK now things are starting to make sense.

However the bad news is that you cannot do what I hoped you could do with the equipment you have.

The is another wireless access point mode called “Bridging” which is (more or less) the wireless equivalent of running a cable. You only have the 1 subnet (good) but you need 2 access points running in bridge mode (bad since you don’t have two that will do this).

So my first suggestion would be run a cable.

My second suggestion would be save your pennies and invest in some “ethernet over powerline” gear. The good stuff (according to what I have read) does work and (if memory serves me) is faster the wireless. And you will have 1 subnet.

My third suggesting would be buy a couple of LinkSys WAP54G (or something like them) that can do bridging.

As I mentioned 2 subnets in a home environment can cause some frustration.

Any questions just post them here and we will see what we can do.

I have found another solution :slight_smile:

My linksys has dd-wrt on it.

DD-WRT can act in client-bridge mode.

I will use my TP-Link router as first router and Linksys as client-bridge so that it can act connecting to wi-fi like a “normal” client (as you told, similar to cable).

I will attach my WDTV Live to Linksys.

This solves the problem. I have the same network for all of my home apparels :slight_smile:

Did you actually get this to work?

The reading I did stated that bridging required two access points both in bridge mode.

If you did get it working that’s great!

Yes, this works flawlessly.

I am thinking to buy another Linksys to substitute my TP-Link (i paied 12 euros for the tp-link :slight_smile: The Linksys is about 20 euros).

This is because on LinkSys router you can install DD-WRT.

If you don’t know it’s incredible features, visit http://www.dd-wrt-com

It is an alternatively firmware for Linux based routers. Excellent! :slight_smile:

Well I very glad to hear you got it working.

I just love a happy ending.

Thanks for the info on DD-WRT.