Different Password Requirements = **bleep**?!?

1. I created a new user and gave it a password (typed it into both fields)

2. I created a new share, and granted that new user access to that new share.

3. I attempted to connect to that new share from Windows by using that new user, but it was denied access.

4. I edited the user on the NAS by simplifying its password to ‘password’

5. New user is now able to access the share with the new, simplified password.

6. **bleep**?

I have seen this before, over and over again with various products and services out there.

QUESTIONS:

1. Why the **bleep** does the thing allow me to create a password in the user creation place that won’t be accepted later when the user tries to use it?

2. What are the ACTUAL password requirements/restrictions for user accounts when accessing shares over the network (because it’s different from what is allowed when creating a user account)?

3. Why can’t you make both areas be consistent with each other?

This is - in all likelihood - a Windows issue, not a My Cloud one. 

You will probably find you can connect as the new user from another device with no problem.

If you have already connected to the WDMC from a PC as one user then Windows will not allow you to connect as another user.

It’s a pain, and there’s really no way around it.

No. You obviously did not read what I wrote.
This has nothing to do with Windows.

I know how Windows works (disconnecting SMB connections via the net use commands, etc), and I can connect to the NAS just fine as many times as I want, etc.

Man, would somebody please read what I actually typed in above?

I would genuinely really appreciate it.

I totally hear what you are saying and part of me agrees with nicktee5. Windows is so lame. I am going to go out on a limb and guess your original password was either more then 32 charachters or included symbols. Windows usually hates that kinda thing. Linux which is what our WDMC run isn’t as pickie.

There is no need to challenge my literacy skills, I read your problem and gave a response based on my understanding of what I had read.

I am not a paid customer service representative, I gave my time and tried to help you. Don’t know why I bothered now.

2 Likes

@ nate9000
Nope. It has nothing to do with Windows. I use complex passwords in Windows all the time, and they work just fine.
This is about the NAS having two different sets of password requirements/restrictions.

Please allow me to try one more time to explain what is going on here…

First, in order to test it in Windows to verify that the password is not too long or complex for Windows, and to prove that Windows is not the problem…

1. create user1 in Windows

2. Give that new user the following password
    Beghwr!m4swloprvnaogxq6jzvcdfgj9d

3. log into Windows with that new user with the crazy password above

4. Notice how you are able to log into Windows with that password just fine.

Now, test same on the NAS…

1. create user1
  2. Give that new user the following password
    Beghwr!m4swloprvnaogxq6jzvcdfgj9d
  3. Notice how the NAS does indeed allow you to create the password as above, and doesn’t say anything about it being too long or too complex at the time of password creation. It simply moves on as if it was successful. .

Now, with that password in place for that new user on the NAS…

1. Create a new share on the NAS
  2. Modify permissions to give NAS user1 full access to the new share
  3. Attempt to connect to that new share from Windows by using that new user with the password supplied above
  4. Note, how it will not allow you to connect to the share on the NAS when using that new user and the password supplied above.

Then, to show you that it is in fact the NAS that’s causing the problem…

1. Edit the user on the NAS by simplifying its password to ‘password’
  2. Attempt to connect to that new share from Windows by using that new user with the simplified password of ‘password’
  3. Note, how it now allows you to connect with that new user and simplified password just fine.

Again, this is not the fault of Windows, but of having two completely different sets of password requirements in the NAS; one in the section where you create passwords, and then a different set of requirements in the authentication section that is used when a user atttempts to connect to a share.

You’re able to create the complex password, but then you can’t actually use it.
If there is a password restriction/requirement in your authentication system, then you should have a system in place that will warn the user of and prevent them from creating passwords that are too complex (or whatever). The user can’t know the requirements just by trying all kinds of different combinations. You need to provide that to the user, and then the user can create a password that fits within that realm of requirements.

@ nicktee55

Sorry. I did not mean to offend you.
I do genuinely appreciate all assistance. It’s just that I have seen it so much that it bugs the heck out of me when somebody just comes back with a quick reply on something where they are obviously just going off of one or two little things I said, instead of actually responding to the full thing that I said.

I did not say anything about your level of literacy.

I did not say that you can’t read.

I was merely acknowledging the fact that you were not actually addressing what I actually wrote.

So, if you did in fact actually read it, then I guess I should have asked for you to respond to what I wrote, instead of to what you thought I meant.

If you try the tests that I laid out above and find that I am incorrect in my interpretation of what is going on here, I would very much like to hear about it, and would do whatever it takes to walk through whatever detailed steps you would want to provide for me to see it your way.