Difference between WD40EFRX-68N32N0 and WD40EFRX-68WTONO

Hi everybody

Does somebody knows the difference between those reference :

WD40EFRX-68N32N0
WD40EFRX-68WTONO

I have 4 WD 4To red disk in a Synology DS916+ since one year

It 's already my third RMA !

The new disk that was provided is now WD40EFRX-68N32N0

I just want to know if those numbers can tell someting like the date of production

Thank’s for help

Hi technosaure,

Both Model Number indicates same WD Red drives. The only difference are the numbers after “-” (dash) which depicts the country of manufacturing and concerned warehouse details from where it was dispatched. These details can be accessed by WD Warehouse only during drive validation.

This thread has aged a bit, but for the benefit of people coming here from a search engine, here’s the difference between the two models:

• The 68WT0N0 has 4 x 1TB platters and 8 heads. It is a heavy drive at about 700g. I’ve also personally had RMAs involving this model, but of course WD would never admit to a systemic issue.
  • The 68N32N0 is a newer model with 3 x 1.33TB platters and only 6 heads. It is lighter, at around 638g in the anti-static bag, and marginally faster than the older model. The top cover is quite different as well.

On average less platters/heads means better reliability (less things that can fail), so the 68N32N0 should be a better drive overall.

What jsilva said, and I would add …

I use 2x WD40EFRX-68WT0N0 and 2x WD40EFRX-68N32N0

Under light load the two WD40EFRX-68WT0N0 run at 43° C and the two newer run at 40° C.
Also it is noticeable that the older model is noisier and vibrates more than the newer model.
Both models are relatively silent compared to WD Blue or others, but you can tell the difference between the two reds above.

A single one shown 3-5 unreadable bad sectors while still working fine and without funny noises.
It was the newer model but also the one used the most at that time.

now thats making sense