"device offline"

I don’t think WDC did this on purpose The update situation on problematic HDDs was compounded by the fact that the Let’s Encrypt certificate expiration which effectively made the MCH unusable without a firmware update - the intersection of the two events resulted in more than a few bricked MCHs. Look into the debug_logs.zip from both MCH units and you will likely see that one had many more SMARTCTL errors than the other and that the one with a large count of SMART errors will likely not be firmware updateable - perhaps that is the reason for OTA update failure where the update program will refuse to update a HDD exceeding a threshold of errors. These hard disk errors are prevalent in SMR HDD drives and they occur frequently in HDD that are more than 50% full and written to frequently by database programs such as PLEX and the Android OS that runs MCH.

Replacing the HDD with a SSD as described in another thread will likely make the MCH system more stable and usable and last longer as I expect the MCHs that I have replaced with SSDs which have 5 year disk warranties will do. You may also be able to do a sector clone of the ‘defective’ HDD from your MCH with a same or larger drive, and be able to recover a functional MCH because such a MCH should now be able to receive OTA firmware update.

The most informative reply I got so far. Thanks tekram. Then, MCH is poorly built on a disastrous concept. Certificate expiration must be a known issue during the development stage.

I think the world must know this “device offline” truth about WD product especially My Cloud Home series that constantly create many problems for users. I am thinking about some youtubers in Thailand that might be interested in this issue.

The problem persists and has never been resolved properly.

In Thailand, our return policy is pretty weak. This creates a very unfair trade when a big company sells us defect product. I think it is better to let people know before they making decisions about this WD My Cloud Home products.

I never said, they did it on purpose, just that they screwed up and now just let it be. When contacting them they simply say it‘s a hardware failure and they can‘t do anything. Bad hardware, bad software, bad support. That‘s it.

Has anyone ever resolved this issue? My mycloud is offline and starts up and remains on with a solid white light. Any help?