"device offline"

What happened? It just randomly went offline?

Yes, random offline

Holy moly…

The problem with these devices is that you have no insight into the device’s status and what the device is currently doing (besides that led light with multiple behavioral meanings, which mean nothing and are basically useless, let’s be real). (Connecting, rebuilding RAID, etc…).

There should be some clear indicator within the software that will tell you if there is some kind of a problem with the device, + you should be able to connect to the device even offline (when connection to the internet is down).

I am considering purchasing a second My Cloud Home device (Duo this time), to give the device second chance, but now I am really unsure if i want to store all of my data on such an unreliable piece of hardware, which you have no control over…

Take notes @WD Staff.

1 Like

This is exactly the condition I am having. Recently installed Chromecast and wondering if that could be related, but took Chromecast off the network and nothing changed. Looks like there is no way to connect WD home directly to my PC since the app My Cloud Home doesn’t include any option to set static IP address. Anyone know if the hard disc be removed from the unit?

Same issue is seen to me.
My devices is offline for 3 days, I have tried everything I can think of …Nothing changes.

I have contacted the support, no feedback yet.

Do we have any work-around?

Hello

I have had this problem since last year.

my drive has been “updating” or “offline” for over 2 months now. this happens every time after they “migrate my data”.

I don’t understand how this is ok…

1 Like

Yes - two months is about the same as me.
My iPad has received an update within the last couple of days.
So I’m hoping they have done a “fix” - fingers crossed :uk::joy:

Hey Folks…This is the final straw that broke the camels back!
WD has REALLY gone down hill. At one time, they were my Go To for HDD. Now, they have changed to a proprietary Android File system (KDDFS), where you can no longer retrieve your lost data due to the controller board failure on the MYCLOUD drives. You have to send it in to the tune of $400 to have data retrieved. Screw that! Done with WD and their ■■■■. Moved to Synology and using Seagate drives. Little bit more money up front but file system is standard RAID, VERY east to setup, no WEIRD proprietary file system and file structure to try to circumvent so you can still use PLEX or Acronis or any other software you have been using but now cant because you are stuck with a proprietary file structure. You now have a redundancy, so NOTHING is lost. Sorry WD. You have lost another customer.

5 Likes

Anybody resolved with this issue, My device is still shows as not connected although it is connected…

Hello

Does anybody tried on the RESETS ? 10 seconds or 40 seconds Reset with the PIN on the back of the device ?

Worst Product Ever!!!
My Cloud Home went Offline doesnt start anymore!
Connected to power stays a bit warm but no disk rotation.
Custumer Support says it needs to be replaced. But my data will all be lost!! Shamefull a company doing this!
I feel bad so many complaints here about the same.
We should organize a group complaint go consumer court and get our money back!
Shamefull Company!!!

2 Likes

how can we do that? i just recently bought a cloud home and less than 2 weeks, it went offline. until today couldn’t even get it restarted or rebooted.

i read online that many consumers are having this problem.
we can consider going as a group to put a case against them.

thoughts?

unless someone from Western Digital is willing to step forward to try to resolve this longstanding issue that seems to have stemmed since 2018? my fault to not check further.

The MCH requires internet to function and anytime you have disruption to that whether from the router, ISP, firewall, cable connection, server disuption, hard disk problem will all result in what is described as ‘device offline’.

You certainly should return the device before the window to return expires. You are also assuming everyone is having the same problem which is not true as the MCH is one of the least expensive and most easily set up device for the home user - as the reason you see so many new users posting is a testimony to that fact.

The product was fully functional until it suddenly went offline.

I tried replugging my cable connection,rebooting my modem. Nothing works.

Just by changing the device will work?
So does that mean it is purely a hardware fault?

By the way, as you rightly mentioned - i bought because it was the easiest to set up.but if it doesn’t serve its purpose, eveb it is the easiest to set up - it won’t serve me any purpose if it doesn’t work?

I m willing to work through anything so long as the product works for me. Please provide me constrcutive solutions.

Yes is very easy.
But the problem they created is not solve until 1st Octuber the cloud is offline. And more people have the same problem, and we can’t get our documents.
But the probles is ours.
Don’t lie.

Not every one, but many people have a broken MCH because of the faulty firmware upgrade. WD is simply sitting it out.

I am sorry so many you are still having problems and WDC was unable to help you given your circumstances as I realize many of you are not in the USA and that consumer protection laws may not be robust in your country. I suggested earlier that you should return the unit if you can and that is still the best advice. I also gave this post from Oct 5 shown below that some of you may have read and some users got their MCH fixed, and you should follow that thread instead of reading this one that doesn’t show anything constructive and that you are not going to learn very much if you only spend 3 minutes reading useless threads and nothing else.

As to the usability of the My Cloud Home, all I can say is that it is cheap to me and I bought several to use for distributive network storage because they are easy to set up, but it is a consumer product so everyone should have a realistic expectation that it is not going to last very long, certainty not much more than two years which is the manufacturer’s warranty. So have plenty of back ups and don’t be caught unprepared.

2021-11-12_160952

My personal issue is not the quality of the product. There I am fully aware that the quality is as you write not really good.
My issue is that the product was broken by a Firmware upgrade from WD and WD is claiming to us that it is a Disk Failure (Hardware). Recovery software however are able to access the data without a problem. Also, the public space is still available which means that the Disk is not faulty but the software corrupted. That is my problem.
(The country thing you mentioned is also certainly not the main problem. I’m outside of the US, but have two MCHs. One still working and the other one was broken by the Firmware upgrade).

But I think the real point to take away is as you said that the lifecycle of the product is rather bad and not reliable.