Device not seen by Windows 10

I run Windows 10 build 16299 and have a My Book 4TB for File History backup of my files.
I am repeatedly being told to reconnect my drive for file backup. It’s plugged in, I have tested it on another machine and it is seen/accessable no problem so I know the cables are good.
Having contacted WD they are most unhelpful and blame MS for everything.
I have scoured MS knowledge base but found nothing that helps my issue.
Have others experienced this problem and what was their solution???
Thanks

Hi AndyTennant,

As My Book device is accessible and working fine on another machine, i.e there may be no issue with the drive. You should check after updating the Operating System.

And, as it is giving message to reconnect the drive for backup, did you check after connecting the drive with another USB port?

Hi Asp73

Thanks for getting back.

The My Book is not functioning on other machine either.

When connected to main PC it gives message saying ‘reconnect your drive for file history to work’ and then when connected to laptop it gives a message saying ‘USB device not recognised - the last usb device connected malfunctioned and windows does not recognise it’ so the device is registering in some way but it’s malfunctioning such that windows can’t use it.

Any ideas

Thanks
Andy

I have an identical issue with a My Book 4TB, this started after a Windows 10 update. I get repeated messages to connect the WD. Is there an update to WD software to coordinate with latest Windows 10 updates?

1 Like

i have the same problem since MS update