Device doesn't see network content

Sorry, I just realized something.

Depending on how you set up your PC, you might have some issues with that.

If that doesn’t work, (sometimes the computer will say ACCESS DENIED) then just copy and paste directly from the black cmd window each time you do the next command.

It should look something like this:

C:\Users\Tony>net view
Server Name Remark

----------------------------------------------------------
\\BIGNAS1 Big Freakin' NAS Server 1
\\MYBOOKLIVE My Book Live Network Storage
\\NEPTUNE
\\SATURN
\\WDTVLIVE WDTV LIVE
\\WDTVLIVEHUB WDTV LIVE
The command completed successfully.

C:\>nbtstat -a wdtvlive

Local Area Connection:
Node IpAddress: [10.0.0.8] Scope Id: []

NetBIOS Remote Machine Name Table

Name Type Status
    ---------------------------------------------
    WDTVLIVE <00> UNIQUE Registered
    WDTVLIVE <03> UNIQUE Registered
    WDTVLIVE <20> UNIQUE Registered
    WORKGROUP <1E> GROUP Registered
    WORKGROUP <00> GROUP Registered

MAC Address = 00-00-00-00-00-00

etc. etc. for each host listed above.

If you can’t SELECT the text in the black CMD window, then you need to do THIS:

1. At the top of the window (on the title bar where it says C;\windows\system32 or whatever) RIGHT CLICK and select PROPERTIES.
  2. Select the OPTIONS tab.
  3. Make sure QUICK EDIT is CHECKED.
  4. Then click OK.
  5. If it asks “Apply to this window only, or for all windows of the same name” or something like that, select ALL WINDOWS.

TonyPh12345 wrote:
No, don’t type it, Do the commands like this. “net view >> c:\myfile.txt” and “nbtstat -a [name] >> c:\myfile.txt” and it will put all the output in that file called myfile.txt in the root of your c drive. Open it in notepad and copy paste.

Sorry, I’m doing something wrong.   Every time I hit “enter” the next line says " c:\myfile.txt is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file"

Then just follow the other steps for doing cut and paste; just leave off the >> part and after.

C:\Documents and Settings\Robert A. Mustari>net view
Server Name            Remark

[\BOBS-PC](file://bobs-pc/)              downstairs PC
[\LINDYS-PC](file://lindys-pc/)            bedroom
[\PC1](file://pc1/)                  Kitchen PC

C:\Documents and Settings\Robert A. Mustari>nbtstat -a [\bobs-pc](file://bobs-pc/)

Local Area Connection:
Node IpAddress: [192.168.0.146] Scope Id:

Host not found.

C:\Documents and Settings\Robert A. Mustari>nbtstat -a [\lindys-pc](file://lindys-pc/)

Local Area Connection:

Host not found.

C:\Documents and Settings\Robert A. Mustari>nbtstat -a [\pc1](file://pc1/)

Local Area Connection:

Host not found.

EDIT:  There must be  a faster way to do this.  Do you have any IM accounts?

I should have noticed that before;   

The command should be

nbtstat -a [name]   

WITHOUT the leading \

as shown in my examples. 

Sorry…

This is odd.  I’ve re-run the tests but I’m unable to get the old DOS screen out of the que.  Every time I try to “paste” I get the old information.  This will have to wait.  I must get to work.

Ok… By the way, I’m surprised that I do not see your WDTVLIVEHUB in the first list…   It needs to be powered on when you do these tests.

If it STILL does not show up, then use the command like this:

nbtstat -a [ip address of your hub]

instead of the name.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Ok… By the way, I’m surprised that I do not see your WDTVLIVEHUB in the first list…   It needs to be powered on when you do these tests.

If it STILL does not show up, then use the command like this:

nbtstat -a [ip address of your hub]

instead of the name.

I’m sure the hub was powered on for the tests last night.  Maybe that’s a clue to what’s wrong since it didn’t show up in the list.  I still can’t figure out why I can no longer copy & paste from the DOS window.  It worked last night after I changed the properties as you instructed.  I’m still able to highlight the text but when I key in “ctrl+c” nothing gets copied to the clipboard.  Any ideas?

I’ve not used Ctrl-C in a CMD window;  Usually I just Right Click.

No menu will appear; Right Click just loads the highlighted text into Clipboard.

Ctrl-C in a CMD window has special meaning.

I’m having problems booting one of  the PCs so the list is shorter tonight.  Heres the test results.

C:\Documents and Settings\Robert A. Mustari>net view
Server Name            Remark

[\BOBS-PC](file://%5C%5CBOBS-PC)              downstairs PC
[\PC1](file://%5C%5CPC1)                  Kitchen PC

C:\Documents and Settings\Robert A. Mustari>nbtstat -a 192.168.0.107

Local Area Connection:

Name               Type         Status
    WDTVLIVEHUB    <00>  UNIQUE      Registered
    WDTVLIVEHUB    <03>  UNIQUE      Registered
    WDTVLIVEHUB    <20>  UNIQUE      Registered
    WORKGROUP      <1E>  GROUP       Registered
    WORKGROUP      <00>  GROUP       Registered

MAC Address = 00-00-00-00-00-00

C:\Documents and Settings\Robert A. Mustari>nbtstat -a bobs-pc

Local Area Connection:

BOBS-PC        <00>  UNIQUE      Registered
    MSHOME         <00>  GROUP       Registered
    BOBS-PC        <03>  UNIQUE      Registered
    BOBS-PC        <20>  UNIQUE      Registered
    MSHOME         <1E>  GROUP       Registered

MAC Address = 00-18-F3-76-02-39

C:\Documents and Settings\Robert A. Mustari>nbtstat -a pc1

Local Area Connection:

PC1            <00>  UNIQUE      Registered
    PC1            <20>  UNIQUE      Registered
    MSHOME         <00>  GROUP       Registered
    MSHOME         <1E>  GROUP       Registered
    MSHOME         <1D>  UNIQUE      Registered
    …__MSBROWSE__.<01>  GROUP       Registered

MAC Address = 00-26-18-DD-E1-E8

That’s it!   You MUST set the WORKGROUP name of the HUB to be the SAME as your PCs.  

Your PC’s are all set to the workgroup name “MSHOME”  Your HUB is set to the name “WORKGROUP”.

Change the Hub’s Workgroup name to MSHOME  (in all caps)  and it should work.

That’s done under SETUP / NETWORK SETTINGS.

The Live and Live+ don’t require this.   The Hub does, as explained in the documentation.

1 Like

Right you are.  It’s working.  I saw the setting in the user manual but I actually thought my workgroup was “workgroup”.  I must say I find it pecular that such a sophisticated device can’t read the proper workgroup name from the LAN while it’s doing (seemingly) much more complex things during the automated network setup process.  I believe my other WD player also says “workgroup” and it sees the LAN just fine. Do you know if all  the WD players use  chip sets from the  same manufacturer?  Well, anyway thanks for your patience.  I going to go watch Inception which I just backed up to my HDD.  Have a good night.  Thanks again.

I understand, but it’s a SAMBA issue,  not necessarily a WD requirement.

The LIVE and LIVE+ are actually able to find systems on different workgroups (that is a relatively recent change.)

Devices need to be on the same workgroup;  that’s how they KNOW they are together on the same network.  That’s just how Samba works.

The WDTV Live, the WDTV HD Gen 2, and the Non-North American WDTV Live Hubs use the same chipset from Sigma.

The WDTV Live+ and the North American Live Hub use the same chipset from a different family from Sigma.

The WDTV HD Gen 1 uses an older Sigma chipset.

The ELEMENTS and MINI use an AmLogic chipset, but I don’t know if it’s the same.

Glad to have got you sorted out.   If you could, please mark the post as SOLVED, and give Kudos to the messages that helped.

I have no idea what Samba is.  I was  going to ask someone so I guess you’re nominated.  BTW, do you work for WD?

Thanks to everybody who contributed to this thread and I hope you lurkers learned something too.  I know I did.

Sometimes I feel like I do, but no.  I’m an IT professional (network architect) at a Fortune 250 company.

SAMBA is the common name for an Open-Source implementation of the SMB/CIFS network file sharing protocols.

SMB- Server Message Block

CIFS- Common Internet File System

Those two protocols together are what allow Microsoft Windows computers to share files in 99% of home networks, and a large number of business networks.   They’re what allow other third party devices (like WD boxes) to participate in a network of computers with file / printer sharing and streaming.

I finally heard from WD tech support on this issue.  I responded last night with the “fix” and suggested a (if possible) firmware update to preclude this happening to others.  As you know, I’m no expert but neither am I a novice at home networking.  I do know that workgroups exist and where to find the name of mine if/when I need to.  I would bet that’s not true of the majority of home LAN administrators.  Frankly, I’m amazed this issue hasn’t been resolved long ago.  It seems like the kind if “gotcha” more people would trip over than not especially if they had previously installed a different WD player as I have.  Anyway, I’m glad it’s resolved and I’m sorry for being such a pest but if you don’t ask questions you don’t learn.  I guarantee if someone asks me about a similar issue this will be the first thing I check.  Thanks again.