Desktop app for windows XP

I’d like to access a MyCloud 2TB storage device from an older desktop. The MyCloud and the XP machine are on the same home network.

The WD Desktop seemed to install OK, but when I try to start it (via the desktop icon), it aborts with an error (“WD MyCloud.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.”)

Is there a fix for this error or will the WD Desktop app not run on the older Window XP system?

For local access you do not need to use the WD Desktop software. Simply use Windows File Manager to access the My Cloud on the local network.

For remote access one can use MyCloud.com through their web browser.

I understand that you don’t need to use the Desktop App for local access. However, the question still on the table is, can I use Desktop App on Windows XP if I wanted to access the MyCloud drive in this manner?

Have you tried?
As XP is out of date, and mostly not supported in newer software.

Yes, I have tried and get an error (as noted in my first posting). And I realize that XP is no longer supported. However, using Desktop App on the XP machine is desirable in this very specific instance.

Have you seen here?

Yep, that is the link that I used to download the Desktop App. Even though WD indicates the app should run on XP with service pack 3 (which I have), the Desktop app creates the error indicated above and aborts. I’ve tried the install 3 separate times (with a uninstall between each try) and it fails each time. Any other ideas?

Have you installed the application as the administrator? Have you disabled any and all antivirus/security software before installing the program? Have you tried disabling the antivirus/security program when you attempt to launch the Desktop program? Is Windows XP updated with all the latest XP updates?

Have you already set up your XP to work with the My Cloud in the Dashboard? See example image below. Click on, tap or activate image to enlarge it.

I got it installed on a winXP servicepack 3 by using the setup software from here : WD TV Live It installed both the dashbord and the WD MY CLOUD software that also got updated. I did not have to run as admin under installation. On my XP system both Dashboard and Wd My Cloud works in the same manner as those on my win10 system. The wd my cloud on winXP even imported my DL2100 NAS.
I suggest that you try to install the mc cloud from My cloud setup software. I hope you will have succes this way.