DDNS Settings, "Updated Failure" message (SOLVED)

So I’m trying to reach my device from outside of my network. I’ve created a dynamic dns host (dlinkddns.com) etc. but in the ddns settings I’m getting an “Updated Failure” message. Host name is correct, user name or key is correct and pass is correct. I’ve port forwarded 2121 in FTP settings and Router.

Obviously I don’t have a clue about what I’m doing since it’s my first time using a nas and I’m a total newbie when it comes to network stuff.

When I’m trying to connect to the ftp via filezilla, what exactly is the info I’m supposed to use there?
My host name obviously (the myname.dlinkddns.com)
port 2121?
user / pass, which user and which password from where?

The manual is useless for this stuff. I’d appreciate some help because I’m ready to sell it and try something else :slight_smile:

btw my router is a Dlink DIR-860l

Hello,

I haven’t try this yet. Let’s see if any of the users on the community can share some information about it.

1. Set a static IP address for your NAS (in the router and NAS). This is your internal IP address. Lets say it is 10.1.1.10 for example. Yours may be different depending on how your router is set up.

2. Turn on FTP access in the network settings in the NAS.

3. Create a private Share. Give a user access to it. I created a new user called ftp_user, but you don’t have to. As long as that user is not accessing the share by other means (eg from a windows mapped drive). A user may not be able to access the share via FTP at the same time as by other means. I’m not 100% sure on this. Best to be safe and create a dedicated user for FTP access.

4. Turn on FTP for the Share. Set FTP access to “anonymous none” (unless you want to allow anonymous access, not recommended).

5. Set a port forwarding rule in your router to forward any TCP packets sent to the router’s external address (myname.dlinkddns.com) on port 2121 to the internal address of the NAS (e.g. 10.1.1.10) on port 21.

You have the filezilla hostname and port correct, myname.dlinkddns.com:2121, normal login, the user and password are the user and password that has access to the share.

I just set it up and remote desktoped into my work pc to check that it works. It didn’t. I then tried it from my phone connected via the cellular network (not my local wifi) and it worked as expected! Must be our f-ing corporate firewall stopping me from trying from work.

Thank you Tom for these great tips. I’ll give it a try later and get back to you with how it went. Again, thanks, I greatly appreciate it.

Ok well I’m getting closer now atleast. I believe I’ve done the things you suggested. Now I get this in filezilla. Do you know what I’ve possibly done wrong?

When you say I need to setup static IP in the router. Do you mean I need to do a “manual internet connection option” and connect with static IP rather than Dynamic (DHCP)? Right now I’m using Dynamic. I’ve changed to static IP in both my computer and NAS. I’m not sure how to do step 4 in the router.

Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message…
Status: Server sent passive reply with unroutable address. Using server address instead.
Command: MLSD
Error: Connection timed out after 20 seconds of inactivity
Error: Failed to retrieve directory listing

1 Like
  1. You need to reserve a DHCP IP address for the NAS in your LAN set up in the router not the internet connection setup.

2. I don’t see where you have forwarded port 2121 to port 21 (the port the NAS will be listening on). If there isn’t an option to do this in your router you will have to set your NAS FTP port to listen on 2121 as well. This is what it looks like on my router. Notice that port 2121 will be forwarded to port 21 on 10.1.1.10. Yours only has the external listen port (2121) specified not the internal port the NAS will be listening on (21 as default). There may be an option to tick to let you specify different ports. (click to enlarge)

1 Like

If I’m not mistaking, maybe in Dlink routers the internal and external ports are in the virtual server page? There are Public and Private ports. I’m thinking that might be the page I’m looking for. I added the 2121 as public and 21 as private and IP address is the NAS address.

I also now reserved MYcloud in the DHCP Reservation List.

Tried connecting but still getting the same message. Here’s what it looks like in the NAS port foward settings:

Sorry for being a pain in the ass :frowning:

Hi again Tom. I’m happy to say I resolved the issue. I had to on top of the things you told me to do also needed to port forward 55536-55663 for passive connection.

Thank you so much for your help man, you’re a king. Do you have paypal? I want to show my appreciation with a small donation.

Thanks for the offer but it’s fine. Just glad you got it sorted.