Customer Services?

I have a Western Digital internal drive that I am looking to replace.  I have an older PowerMac G5 and I am looking to purchase a Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX (1TB) as an upgrade to it.  Turns out that the G5 can only handle a SATA rate of 150 MB/sec. The WD1002FAEX has that rate disabled by default, therefore it can’t be seen unless you enable the 150 MB/sec rate on the disk. I beleive I do this by jumpering pins 5-6. The biggest problem I have is the bare drive doesnt come with any jumpers.

I rang Western Digital to find out where I could purchase a jumper and instructions to fit and got through to the US office -As I am based in the UK they gave me a UK number to call… when I rang that I actually got through to a German speaking centre!! By this time I was getting nowhere so I decided to email UK support to see if they could point me in the right direction.  I then got this response:-

“We understand that you have a product inquiry. We apologize for the
inconvenience. Unfortunately, we are unable to assist you with this
product inquiry at the online store. For detailed product information
please contact Western Digital US for assistance at: ”

So back at the US office then…

All I want to know if where I can get a jumper for the drive from…its really not that complicated or difficult a question but for Western Digital its cost me a couple of hours of chasing around for no good reason.  What happened to the book stops here customer service appraoch… its tempting me to buy Seagate!!!  How frustrating and what poor customer relations…in this current climate no company can afford to lose customers through bad customer handling surely?

Hello,

A Jumper can be purchase at any repair computer place, they can actually removed it from one old unit and give to you for free, WD does not sell jumpers.

In regards to the installation instructions they are available at the Western Digital website, you can search your drive model and it will guide you to the instruction page. Please check the link below:

How to physically install, set jumper settings, and set up a Serial ATA, EIDE, or SSD drive in Windows 7, Vista, XP, and 2000

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/981/p/227,294/c/123/session/L3RpbWUvMTMxNTQxMjQ4My9zaWQvYzNSMXJ2RGs%3D