Creating a second "drive"

Im not exactly sure what to call it, but I (i think) I would like to create a seperate drive on my drive that I can put my personal stuff in. When I click on my computer I see public/mybooklive(Z). how do i create myname/mybooklive

As it is now, I add a second user will they be able to see this public folder? I would guess… yes. I would like to make it so second user can see only the public folder and their own folder and move all my backups that now sit in the public folder to myname/mybooklive folder. 

any help would be greatly appreciated! thank you1

okay, i guess it is called a share. I figured out how to do that. the only way I can access it is if i log onto wd2go.com. I see all my shares there.  If I want to transfer something from my laptop to mybook> myfolder do I have to go through wd2go or can i just copy/cut and paste like I would a regular hard drive connected to my pc? 

Transfering 10,000 pictures off my laptop onto mybook via wd2go is going to take forever!

You can create a share, private in your case, and access this share through your computer. Once you create  your new share,  you can simple copy and paste your data. No need to use WD2Go to transfer your data.

For information on how to create shares and manage shares, please visit the link below, page 82 of the User Manual:

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705058.pdf

n2h2o wrote:

okay, i guess it is called a share. I figured out how to do that. the only way I can access it is if i log onto wd2go.com. I see all my shares there.  If I want to transfer something from my laptop to mybook> myfolder do I have to go through wd2go or can i just copy/cut and paste like I would a regular hard drive connected to my pc? 

Transfering 10,000 pictures off my laptop onto mybook via wd2go is going to take forever!

You will need to create a map to the share just like you did the Public share. Once you create the map it will show up as either a drive letter or a folder under Computer (or Finder on a Mac).

“You will need to create a map to the share just like you did the Public share. Once you create the map it will show up as either a drive letter or a folder under Computer (or Finder on a Mac).”

this is what im lookig for.

How do you create the map? the public one was created with the Wd software. 

if i click the little taskbar wd quick view icon I can choose "Map[mybooklive}. when I do this it give me the opption to select drive. And also shows Folder: and has \mybooklive\public and will not let me change that.

Do I want to create a new drive under that foler? 

thanks for your replies.

Assuming you have Windows 7, you just open “My Computer”, then click the button at the top:  “Map network drive.”

Pick a drive letter, then in the folder location, put:

\[name of your MBL][name of your share]

such as:

\mybooklive\tony

Click whichever checkmarks are appropriate to your use, and then click FINISH.

Done.

I have “uhem”… Vista.

IIRC, vista does it the same way as 7.