Couple general easy questions for most

This is such a basic question that I’m embarrassed to ask but have to. We have not used this device in a long time - had moved, it went to storage, etc. etc. I have set it up today and have the apps on phones as well and busy uploading everything. I have confused the heck out of myself -is this a cloud in and of itself - i.e. our own personal cloud, or is the data stored both on the device and on a separate cloud as well? I THINK it’s a personal cloud from what I remember from before but I have seriously confused myself while working on this. Because it looks like other stand-along backup drives my mind wants to think of it the same way.

Another question - is any kind of notice given when it has completely updated for example the photos on your phone? This being the first in a very long time there are quite a few and I’m wondering if I will know when it has completed the project. The fact it doesn’t load them in the order they were taken as it does on my phone is frustrating and makes it hard to know. I’m not about to count them! :slight_smile: On my laptop the WD Sync shows the progress so I know there but don’t see any way to chart the progress on my phone.

Thank you!

data is stored on the internal hard drive and nowhere else.

Personally speaking, i just use my WD MyCloud like a NAS (Network Accessed Storage)

I don’t use remote access or any apps on phones, tablets etc.

It’s mainly used as a NAS for all my movies and tv shows which can be accessed via SMB shares on all my media devices.

@Cherra What type of phone do you have? Have you checked the Settings on it?

My Samsung Galaxy S7 lets me know when new photos and videos have been uploaded. I also have it set to only upload when connected to wifi.

For your My Cloud you may want to read the User Manual for your generation of My Cloud to refresh your memory on how it works along with all the Help info provided in the Dashboard.

https://support-en.wd.com/app/products/product-detail/p/126