Controller temperature warning

I noticed that in the logs of the G-Speed Studio Software Utility for my new 64 TB Shuttle XL, there have been six warnings over the last month saying “controller temperature is above the warning threshold.” I can’t find any other information (i.e. how much over). I do notice the controller temperature is usually very close to the threshold, within a few or even one degree.

Is this something that should concern me? I’m traveling in France with the drive now for work and can’t conveniently send it in for repair…

@daveyoder

What is the environment like that you are operating the drive in? Do you keep the door on the front of the unit up or down or off completely? The best type of cooling is airflow, so sometimes having the door open or off on the Shuttle can be a benefit. One thing you can do is while it is off, pop out each drive and re-seat them in their slots. Make sure it is off when you do this and everything is back together before you turn it on.

I’m still getting these warnings, but they’re more frequent now. The ambient temperature is normal human comfort. I have the door completely off. I’ve unseated the drives a few times and blown out all the dust, and both fans appear to be working. The only remedy has been to put another fan in front of the absent cover door, which keeps it below 64 degrees, but not by much. I bought the drive in the US, but am now living and working with it on a project in France. Any advice would be appreciated…

If the device is still under warranty you could replace just the enclosure. But we would only be able to send the replacement to the US. We would need to receive the bad enclosure and then we would send a replacement enclosure to an address in the US since it was purchased here.

Hi, I’m still having the temperature warning on the controller and having a fan on the open drive front (I take the door off) helps but I’m editing video and audio so that’s a bit of a nuisance. I now live in France and of course the TB2 Shuttle XL was purchased in the US. I presume it’s out of warranty? And I can’t really send it in for replacement anyway as I’m running several projects off it and can’t afford the down-time. Could you tell me where the controller fan is located, and which direction it’s venting/pushing the air? I presume it’s using a vent on the bottom, so I’ve recently turned the whole drive upside down and it seems to help lower its temp 1-2 degrees, but that might be my imagination. Is it a bad thing if the controller fan comes on, which I can hear, and if I get temperature warnings that don’t go beyond the warning stage? Or do I need to make sure it never reaches 64 degrees? I think the fan kicks on at 62 or 63 degrees. Thanks for any in-the-field advice you can offer.