Continued RAID Error/RAID Degraded message

G dock EV with 2 x 1TB G Drive EV, configured to RAID 1 running Mac OS Sierra 10.12.1

Pretty much since I first started using this set-up I have had this error message each time the system reboots, as far as I can see there are no flashing lights on the unit and I have never noticed a problem with corruption of any media.

When I finally finished the project I was working on with the drives in question, I erased the drives and re-formatted. I rebooted the system and can’t seem to recall getting the RAID error message. I have just copied some media on to the drive and rebooted the system. Since putting data on the drive the error message is back.

One thing I noticed when I re-formatted was that the RAID 1 never actually seemed to have been set up and working properly - there were different media on both drives and the media I thought had been mirrored in the RAID 1 configuration wasn’t. Even though the drives were showing in utility as being RAID 1.

What is happening? Since this has been the case since I first used the unit I think there is possibly a fault with one of the drives?

Please help.

The RAID might not have been set up correctly the first time. It is recommended with the Dock to use the drives as a JBOD meaning don’t put a RAID on it at all and let both drives mount independently.

OK, thanks Rydia - but the unit also states it is suitable for RAID 1 configuration - so how can I a) remedy the problem of the continued error messages and b) configure as a working RAID 1 set-up?
thanks

The RAID 1 is handled by the Disk Utility. It would require the drives to be spinning up properly at the same time and maintaining that performance or else the RAID can be split and degraded. Because the nature of that and that it is a software RAID and less stable re recommend leaving them as JBOD drives so they act independently of each other.