Constant white light; cannot start up. Any suggestions?

I’ve been using a 3TB WD MyCloud for almost 6 months now without any problems.

3 weeks ago I shut it down because I was going on vacation and didn’t want the drive to be on while I was away.

I came back last weekend, turned it on, and it got stuck with the white LED and sounds like it keeps trying to startup (makes a spinup noise constantly).

I cannot see the drive on the network, and the dashboard does not load up either.

I read some other suggestions here and actually left the drive alone for 4 consecutive days (96 hours).  It was still stuck with the white LED after 4 days so I tried to do the reset button (4 second & the 40 second methods) but that doesn’t work either.  The drive is just stuck with the white LED and constant spinup noise.

Any other suggestions?  I’m hoping my drive isn’t dead.  I have almost 1.4 TB of material on it that I don’t want to lose!!  I’m typing this up as I’m on hold with WD on the phone (for 20 minutes now).

Well, after almost an hour on the phone (got disconnected, then had to call them again and wait in line for another 20 minutes)… it sounds like the drive (or enclosure) is dead.   Technician on the phone said the constant “whirring” spinup noise means it is failing to start.  Told me to return it for a replacement, and authorized me to get the data off myself (or use one of their partners) prior to sending it in.

Really bummed this is going to be a chore. 

If anyone still has any good advice, I would be happy to hear about it.  This is just ridiculous.

Hello HaroldF,

See if the following link helps.

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/How-to-unbrick-a-totally-dead-My-Cloud/m-p/651195/highlight/true#M3848

This user was experiencing the same case as you and he was able to get it working with the solution on this post.

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/How-to-unbrick-a-totally-dead-My-Cloud/m-p/652071#M3902

Now, those procedures are not supported by WD. If I were you, I’ll contact WD first and let them know the steps that you will be doing so they can keep the warranty on the drive in case that you need to open the enclosure.

Thank you for those links.  I will take a look.  The WD tech said he thinks the enclosure is dead based on the sound it is making.  He did authorize me to do what I need to do to get the data transferred (either by opening it myself or sending it to one of the WD data recovery partners) before sending it in for a replacement. 

Not very reassuring for a device I’ve been using for only 6 months.  Not sure if I want to keep using a WD MyCloud if they are so prone to breaking.  First of all, I just need to get my data out of there.