Constant transferspeed over Ethernet

Hi,

Can anyone please inform me how I can achieve (more or less) constant speeds while transferring files from a Windows8.1 PC to a MyCloud 2TB HD. The PC is connected via a Gigabit NIC and router to the WD MyCloud.

When I am transferring files now, my xfer speeds fluctuate between 65 MB/s and 5 MB/s.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks very much,

Hans

Hans_van_Wijhe wrote:

Hi,

Can anyone please inform me how I can achieve (more or less) constant speeds while transferring files from a Windows8.1 PC to a MyCloud 2TB HD. The PC is connected via a Gigabit NIC and router to the WD MyCloud.

When I am transferring files now, my xfer speeds fluctuate between 65 MB/s and 5 MB/s.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks very much,

Hans

Hi Hans,

There is no fast and hard rule. It depends on so many things, from hardware to cables, routers, NICs, type of files (small, large), anti virus, firewall, apps running in the background, other connected devices, and also depends how you are copying and how you are measuring.

Are you measuring one file or bunch of files and what are you using to measure it?  What is your newtork infrastructure?

on my 3TB (don’t know if same on 2TB) but I can read 7.5 GB in under 2 minutes (at 68.4 MB/s 1.58s) always. I can write the same amount in 2:30 minutes @53MB/s. the files are a mxiture of few bytes per file to 3.5 GB per file. This is on an old machine (7 years knackered PC with only Sata 2 and 1 GB nic.

So the drive is capable but depends on your setup. It will always fluctuate but not bu this much as yours.

Hi

A lot will also depend on the type of files you are transfering and how big they are, small files do tend to take a lot longer compared to larger video files.

When I copied files from my pictures folder to a remote Linux PC it was much slower than my video folder transfer speed.

Regards

Hi,

one of the importen things, to get an good tranfer rate, seems to switch off the DLNA Serving on the MyCloud UI. The Twonky Server brake down the performance to create the indexdatabase.

I always shut down the mediaserver if copy files. And my transfer rate ist always between 30-70 Mb/s.

Lucky:wink:

Thanks for your advice on this matter. I measured throughput while transferring a bunch of folders from my PC to MyCloud. These folders contained a whole bunch of pretty small files (~2 KB each) and this apparantly caused the huge difference in transfer speeds. When I transferred some big files speeds didn’t get any lower than 55 MB/s with topspeeds reaching 69 MB/s.

Again thanks for you help,

Best regards,

Hans.

Glad things are ok now

When I run Black Magic Speed test from a MacBook Pro, using 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 GB file test size, I can never get anything above 30 MB/sec using a wired Gb ethernet connection with an AFP connection.

Conversely, using the same connection to a Mac Mini and the same test app and settings, I get a consistent 60+ MB/s write speed.

And, FWIW, I have disabled both twonky and the wdmcserverd and  wdphotodbmergerd processes.  When I run top, the system is almost completely idle.

Again, this is using APF; when I re-run the same test using an SMB connection, I can see writes at speeds above 60MB/s.

I really wish WD would do something about their afpd service; this is why running Time Machine from Macs to the WD drives is so problematic.