Connection Question

I have a gigabit router but with only 4 ports. I’m guessing I need to purchase a gigabit 5 port switch then daisy chain it to the exisiting gigabit router. Connect 3 separate 100ft cat 6 cables to go to the designated rooms connecting to the smart tv’s rather than doing it wirelessly with the exception of my macbook airs, macbook pros and ipad mini’s… correct?

I am using a Touchstone Data Gateway DG1670 router.

I use a gigabit switch on my network with no issues. Most everything is plugged into the swtich and the switch is plugged into port 1 of the router. I don’t use 100ft cables so I’m not sure if distance is going to play a factor.

I’ve conneced a gigabit switch connected to my gigabit 4 port router. I use short cat5 cables in most cases. I connected my desktop, MC, and when needed MAC book pro to the switch; I have my Apple TV and printer connected directly to the router. This scenariio works perfectly for me. If you NEED the speed of course the 100 ft cables will be much faster than wifi.

I have a 2 story house that is why i need the 100ft cables - they’ll go into the attic then to the designated upstairs rooms.

Do i need to do any special configuring with the gigabit switch or is it just plug in play?

drew.mun wrote:

I have a 2 story house that is why i need the 100ft cables - they’ll go into the attic then to the designated upstairs rooms.

Do i need to do any special configuring with the gigabit switch or is it just plug in play?

I have a Netgear 1GB switch and it was Plug “n” Play … no real setup required.