Connection dropping every 15 minutes

1.  Well, the X’s aren’t real.    You need to find out what the actual address of the WD is and use THAT instead of X’s.

2.  I don’t know what you mean by “Network” password.  

3.  The TIMEOUTS were because you actually typed “xxx.x.x.x” instead of the IP address.

The GENERAL FAILURE, though, is interesting.

That USUALLY means that you’re firewall is blocking something.

ohhh, I get it, sorry.  I actually typed in x’s!!

I don’t know how to find out what the IP address of my WD player is?  How do I do that?

Also, when I say network, I mean my security enabled wireless network.  I used that password and it seemed to work.  However, both computers are set up to not need a password, so I’m not sure what other password I should be using.  Right now the window’s 7 laptop has a login page but it doesn’t require a password and the name is just “OWNER”.  I tried that and it doesn’t work.  How do I get rid of that, I think that is the key.  I think if I can access the laptop through netowork shares, than the problem might go away.

What do you think?

You can find out the IP address of the WDTV by going into the SETUP / NETWORK settings menus.   Either there, or ABOUT / SYSTEM INFO.   I can’t remember at the moment…

and do you know how I would be able to view the windows 7 laptop under network shares instead of media servers?  How do I find out the password because the computer is set to not require one upon login. 

You ought to be able to use the default User ID and password then:   “anonymous” and blank password.

ok, here is my update:

I have able to get the connection from dropping (I think, so far).  I removed all the users from the windows 7 laptops login.  Before there was Guest and Owner for some reason.  Right now there is just one user called Owner with no password and it is set to admistrator settings. I changed these settings to access my WD player under Network Shares instead of Media Servers.  Anyways, I tried putting in “Owner” with no password and “Adminsistrator” with no password, and “Anonymous” with no password and none of them work.  Anyways, in my time spent trying to do this I realized the connection didn’t drop so I guess I did something right. 

Can you tell me why this worked and how to get into my Network shares with the Window’s 7 laptop?

Hi,

So much for my dropping connection being solved.  I am back to the dropped connection every 15 minutes.  When pinging the players address, it just continued as normal when the connection was dropped.  Does that tell you anything?

Also, I would still like some help with accessing my windows 7 laptop throught network shares instead of through media servers.

Thanks

Hi Gem222- i have managed to sto mine from dropping out… when you used your wd tv, did it ask you for a username & password? MIne used to, so we would just hit sign in as anonymous… so i have gone to settings to change it to sign in automatically, and since doing this it has stopped the drop ouuts…

Hope thaT IT works for you

Hi Becsam,

I was never asked for a username and password when accessing the windows 7 laptop through media servers.  I only needed it for network shares.  Once I figured it out (it was admin & admin) then there was no problem with connecting through network shares.  But when I connect through media servers the connection still drops.

Thanks

I’ve the same problem. I use a WDTV Live Plus and a My Book World in my network. When I access any kind of file (music, video…) in a NAS my connection is dropped every 10 or 15 minutes.

The IP address in the WDTV and the NAS are fixed.

Exists some kind of additional configuration to try?

Thanks a lot,

Fabio