Connecting with ethernet cable

Hi,
I live in student accommodation, the wifi service does not allow me to connect my laptop wirelessly with other devices on the network and hence I cannot connect to my WDmcloud as I would do at home. I have tried connecting it to my Mac directly using an ethernet cable but I’m not sure how to configure this in the network setting on the Mac, any help is much appreciated.

Why not ask your network dept at the school?

Maybe you ought not connect your NAS to the school network anyway.

He should be able to connect it to the laptop. There are posts on how to connect to a PC in the forum.

I found this post by SBrown WDStaff
DO NOT use a crossover cable between the My Cloud and the PC.
Use a standard Ethernet cable and enter //wdmycloudmirror or //wdmycloudmirror.local in your browser and you will get the dashboard.

Now that you mention this, I recall those discussions.and I even tried it out and it worked. I have a laptop and my WD NAS both connected to the same network switch with ethernet cable as well as an ethernet cable from my router. To test this I disconnected the router cable from the switch (to remove both from network) and the laptop and NAS were still connected to one another at gigabit speed. I would say at this point the switch was unnecessary for connecting the two together and a single cable between would work just fine and at high speed, too. Of course, there is no internet connection, tho. The laptop and NAS had their own little network going, and I could access NAS via Windows File Explorer as before.