Connecting WDTV Mini to Iomega Storcenter

Bought the WDTV Mini and it plays back movies from our various USB drives fine.  However, tonight when we tried to plug in the Iomega Storcenter NAS using USB, it will not even detect it as an external USB drive.  We are really annoyed, because this is what we bought it for and assumed any storage device with USB connectivity would connect to it, maybe not?  Does anyone know of a way round this or shall we ditch the mini and look for something else??

Thanks in advance.

The Iomega StorCenter NAS is a network storage device, not a local storage device.  

Although it has USB ports, they are for attaching printers and other external storage devices you wish to share / backup.

None of the WD media players (nor any other brand) will connect to the Iomega via USB as you intend because the limitation is the NAS, not the media player.  

It sounds like you would need a network enabled media player, such as the WD TV Live or Live Plus.

Alternatively, move whatever media you plan on watching to an external HDD or flash drive and plug that directly into the Mini.

Sorry that I don’t have any better news / suggestions!

That’s okay, we suspected as much just needed someone to confirm it!  Looks like I will put this on eBay and upgrade to the Live or the Iomega equivalent networked media player.  Never mind, I still think it’s a good little box though for the money, although a bit sluggish when scrolling through the menus.