Connecting MyBook USB3.0 to USB3.0 slot

I’ve connected Mybook USB3.0 to my PC through it’s USB2.0 slot. I’m thinking of buying a USB3.0 expansion card for my PC for faster throughput.

But I’m not sure if the throughput be really be really faster? Do I need any drivers for USB 3.0 to USB 3.0 connection or is it plug and play? I’m using WinXP. Curious why the MyBook box does not come with a USB 3.0 to USB 3.0 cable.

Appreciate advise from anyone…

USB Revision 3.0 is designed to be up to ten (10) times faster than USB Revision 2.0 with the proper configuration and Hardware requirements.

You may need additional drivers for USB 3.0 connections but they should be supplied by your USB 3.0 Expansion Card. The My Book 3.0 comes with a USB 3.0 cable, you can tell by looking at the end of the cable that connects to your computer; it is blue, which is a color code for USB Revision 3.0.

Thread moved to WD External Drives: My Book for PC.

Regards,

Apart from drivers supplied by the usb3.0 expansion card supplier, do i need install any drivers for mybook ext hdd?

The usb cable supplied has one end that’s thin, has two sections of connectors in one row and thinner than a regular usb2 connector. The other end looks like a regular usb2 connector. Is that the cable you refer to?

The end that looks like a regular USB connector should be blue on the inside, that means it’s a USB 3.0 cable (The physical connector for USB 2.0 and 3.0 is the same, the difference is the blue tint inside).