Connecting 2 My Book Live Drives to network

Hi.  I just purchased a My Book Live 2TB for my PC network. Can I purchase the second one and also connect it to the network without any issues? Do I need to install the software CD again?  I just want to simply have two of these drives and will both show up on my PS3 and other devices for streaming.? 

I hope I get an answer soon so I can go out and purchase the second drive. Thanks!

You’ll only need to make sure to give them different names and different IP addresses and you’ll be fine.

1 Like

Hi… thanks for the help. But how do I deal with the separate IP address, won’t they be showing the same IP address if both LIVE drives are plugged into the back of the same Netgear router.  This part is new to me so I thought I would ask before plugging in a new Live drive and messin’ it up.  thanks again.  (I guess I get the option to give it a separate name at the time of setting it up).  Also, I already installed the Live software with the first drive, do I have to use the install disk again or simply plug the second Live drive into the back of the router?  Sorry for so many questons but the help is greatly appreciated.

No.  If they’re both getting automatic addresses, the NetGear will provide unique addresses to each of them.

But they do need to have unique NAMES;  the names are set in the configuration.

The same discovery software will work with both drives.   But don’t attempt to plug in the 2nd one until you’re done setting up the first one.

1 Like

The first WD Live drive is set up and working fine. So, I should just be able to plug the second into the back of the Netgear router and be set to go. One Question, when and where does it give me the option to set the name.?

Thanks!

Issues…  Hmmm…  The latest firmware makes the MyBook Live a browse master on the network but two with the same firmware may cause the two MyBook Lives for ever force browse master re-elections.  It’s states this in the Samba server documentation.  Samba is what’s used to provide SMB networking services for Linux so Windows computers can work with it.

golfman wrote:

The first WD Live drive is set up and working fine. So, I should just be able to plug the second into the back of the Netgear router and be set to go. One Question, when and where does it give me the option to set the name.?

Thanks!

… in the very first field of the very first tab (system) of the very first menu item (settings).  :)

1 Like