Connect MBL directly to iMac (no router)?

I have approx. 600gigs I need to backup to my MBL, and I would like to do this hardwired with a crossover cable (the router is in another part of the house, so not convienent to run wired through the router with my desktop). How do I set up my mac and my MBL so that I can connect directly using a crossover cable?

Additionally, once I’ve made the original transfer, is it easy to go back to standard wifi settings?

Thanks for the help, I’m striking out on my own.

Follow the link below to map it manually, after the backup is finished just connect it back to the router. Remember to use the name  smb://mybooklive to map it.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2686/session/L2F2LzMvc25vLzEvdGltZS8xMzM1NzI4ODQyL3NpZC9wUTZSalRXaw%3D%3D

Hi, thanks for your response. I’m still not able to get it to work, and I’m hoping you can provide some clarification. When I plug my MBL directly to my computer with an ethernet cable (I’ve tried a regular ethernet and a crossover) and attempt to connect to smb://mybooklive I get this error:

There was a problem connecting to the server “mybooklive”. The server may not exist or it is unavailable at this time. Check the server name or IP address, check your network connection, and then try again.

Do I need to configure my network settings or shared settings in system preferences? Also, should I be using a crossover or standard ethernet cable? I’m running OS 10.7.3 on a 2007 iMac. Thanks

First of all give your MyBook Live a static IP address.

Give your iMac’s NIC a static IP address.  Make sure bith are on the same sub-net.

Make sure you use the correct type of cross-over cable.

RJ54 cross-over.jpg