Configuring Mac Time Machine on My Book

Sorry to raise this issue yet again. I have an iMac 27" i5 computer running Mac OS X 10.6.6 (Snow Leopard). I recently bought a My Book World Edition 1 TB drive, hoping to use it for the Mac Time Machine program. I upgraded the firmware of the My Book drive to 01.02.06 with MioNet 4.3.1.7.  Following the instructions by WD in one of other threads, I got to the point where I am prompted for a Name and Password. I have tried all the suggestions for Name (wd_backup, WD_Backup, admin, WD_BACKUP) and for Password (backup, wd_backup, admin, WD_Backup, admin, and the password I set when I was setting up the hard drive). Unfortunately, none of these suggestions work for me.

I can see two shared drives in Finder called MyBookWorld (Connected as Guest) and MyBookWorld-Backup (Connection failed).

I’m out of ideas. Can anyone else suggest something?

To answer my own question (!) , I tried changing the password of  WD_Backup to “backup” (without the quotes of course) and once this was done, tried connecting Time Machine and it finally worked. Perhaps the configuration expects this to be the password and my changing it to something else caused it to get confused. Anyway, it seems to be happily backing up now. What a relief! :smileyvery-happy:

This isn’t an answer, or the exact same question, but rather I’m someone who has a similar problem, but couldn’t find the correct thread. I can get my 1 TB my passport to work properly. I can also get it to work with time machine. I can also install Smart Ware and finally create a password. The problem that I am having is that when I install Smart Ware, I lose the external drive from my desktop, and any ability to backup. At first I didn’t know that this was the reason why, and I was calling support. My drive is working fine, but they still told me to return it, because the “cord was probably faulty.” I then deleted Smart Ware on a hunch, restarted my computer, repartitioned the drive, and the drive both stayed and worked. Is there a known problem with using both time machine, and Smart Ware, or can they both be used. Since Smart Ware, is basically a program like time machine (I think), they probably conflict. Does anyone know, if they both cannot be used, is there a way to still use a password, to protect your drive files, w/o Smart Ware. I am kind of partial to time machine.

Thank You,

gr33n

You can use both Smartware and Time Machine with no issues, looks like you are having other type of problems. Which Mac do you have? Make sure the drive is connected to the computer and not the keyboard.

Actually, I’ve heard that it is not recommended by Apple. Apples says that a drive being used for TimeMachine should not be used for any other purpose.  At least, that’s what I heard.

[edit]

Let me qualify this.  That’s for a usb connected drive.  Wizer is right if it’s a NAS drive.  And the original poster was talking about a NAS drive.  Sorry Wizer.

I’ve had nothing but problems with this dumbware(WD SmartWare). It will hose your nice clean mac with a bunch of unnecessary garbage that conflicts with your existing software. It’s a marketing ploy by WD to get their hooks into your computer and it doesn’t do anything your Mac can’t already do. I will never buy another WD product.

Good Luck

SimpifyMyLife wrote:

I’ve had nothing but problems with this dumbware(WD SmartWare). It will hose your nice clean mac with a bunch of unnecessary garbage that conflicts with your existing software. It’s a marketing ploy by WD to get their hooks into your computer and it doesn’t do anything your Mac can’t already do. I will never buy another WD product.

Good Luck

You don’t have to install it, at all.