Computer can not see external drive

I have a My Book Live external hard drive. I have had it for several years. It was originally hooked up to my Vista computer (possibly) or my Windows 7 computer. I now am trying to access it over my Windows 10 computer. My computer can not see the drive either directly connected or through my router. I have also hooked it up to my Windows 7 desktop and it can not see it either. Somehow I can access it though and get to the files on there and even listen to some of the music on it. I am perfectly fine with starting over. There really is nothing so important on it that I just can’t loose. So if I have to reformat the drive that is fine. I just want to be able to access it on my Windows 10 OS. I have tried to install the setup software but it says it can not see the drive.

Sorry, wrong forum. This is for the “My Book LIVE”, which is a network attached storage (NAS).

Try here: WD External Drives - WD Community

This post was moved to this board by ArMak

Can anyone help me to communicate with my WD external hard drive?

Hello Ricky,

Have you tried resetting the unit?

Were you using the drive with a static ip or DHCP?

Also, What’s the model number of your drive so we can confirm the specific drive that you have?

Yes I have tried to reset the unit using a pen and the button on the back of the unit.

I have HughesNet as my Internet provider so it is not a static IP.

I do not see my model number listed

Had this same Windows 10 problem and updated my MyBookLive firmware to the latest version and it fixed the issue.