"Compiling Media Library..." every time i turn it on

Once or twice I had to reset my device back to factory setting and start over too. But it works.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Beatmaster:   Have you tried copying over in small batches, and doing a re-compile each time?

My guess is there’s SOMETHING in the contents there that’s choking the compiler.   And doing it in small bites until it chokes would help narrow down the specific issue.

My media libary has 

Video Library:   1507 ISO files (and matching XML and JPG files) for a total of 4800 files.

Music Library:  372 M4A files, 2922 MP3 in about 400 folders

Photo Library:  ~21000 photos.

My Video library takes about 2 minutes to compile.

My Music library takes about 4 minutes to compile.

My Photos Library takes about 7 or 8 minutes to compile.

These are rough estimates.   But I do know it’s not HOURS and HOURS.  :)

yes, i did it in batches, even folder by folder, and there are 1900 artists in my collection…

always waiting until it stops flashing. but after some critical mass it crashes.

i thought it could be the files, but i did crash randomly, sometimes after 1000 folders,

sometimes after 1850, close to the end. which makes me even angrier…

after the crash the only way to make it count over 6000 files, instead of near 20000,

is erasing it all and start over. no more. i’m thinking about returning the unit. for another

how ironic. i gave it a last try with a trick that is ugly, but worked.

it seems my Music folder was the root cause.

so i made a copy of the content on my DIR-685.

By selecting the copy on my share

and copying it back to the Hub and then

CANCELING the process before it starts asking if it should overwrite the files.

after an quarter hour or so it was done. with all files found by the Hub. eureka.

important detail: i had to copy the directory including the Main Folder, otherwise it doesn’t work