Cloning Advice Needed

Hello,

I have a HP Pavilion p6110y desktop with a 640GB WD6400AAKS-65A 7B2 hard drive. My OS is Windows Vista Home Premium SP2. I want to upgrade my internal drive to a WD Mainstream 1TB Drive but I’m getting conflicting information from the HP Support Forum regarding the cloning of a new drive because of my BIOS setting SATA Controller Mode = [RAID]. One person said I could clone the new drive using Acronics True Image WD Edition. Theother person said I can’t clone because of the RAID setting and so the only option is backup my files, purchase new Recovery Media, do a clean install, and spend hours performing Windows Updates & installing other software, etc, etc…

My question is … in light of the above … will I be able to clone my existing WD hard drive using Acronis True Image WD Edition? My hard drive has the following partitions:

Disk 0 Basic 596.17 GB

Volume: HP (C:)
Layout: Simple
Type: Basic
File System: NTFS
Capacity: 582.50 GB
Status: Healthy (System, Boot, Page File, Active, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)

Volume: FACTORY_IMAGE (D:)
Layout: Simple
Type: Basic
File System: NTFS
Capacity: 13.67 GB

My internal drive works fine … just need the addition capacity for a language project at school. I’m currently using an older external WDC WD800B008-RNN 80GB drive that has gone around the world at least 30 times for my project and I’m concerned that it might not survive to many more roundtrip flights between NJ and the Philippines.

Thank you for your assistance!

Tom

Hello tjmincnj, you should be able to clone your drive using Acronis. Check the links below for more information. 

How to automatically clone a disk with Acronis True Image WD Edition software 

How to manually clone a disk with Acronis True Image WD Edition software