Clean OS (Debian), OpenMediaVault and other "firmwares"

Hey @Fox_exe !

Thanks for posting this. I was able to successfully install OMV on my WDMyCloud Gen 1 and login to the console to create users and shares. But then I initiated a “reboot” from the web console and the drive is not joining the network since then. I see a yellow-ish light but no connections on my router. Is there a way to move forward still as I don’t want to open it up.

Try a “TFTP Boot” method.
I’ts a common problem with OMV - After install OMV from Debian - it’s install Network Manager and deletes default network settings, so network not started after boot.
Need fix it by editing /etc/network/interfaces

Thanks @Fox_exe for responding, I’m searching for the files needed for tftp method based on this article:

but it seems like you’ve moved/deleted them already. Can you please point me in the right direction?

https://fox-exe.ru/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Gen1/Recovery/
https://fox-exe.ru/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Gen1/Recovery/Readme-en.txt

Thanks @Bennor

I tried the listed steps but i keep getting below messages on nping window:

SENT (129.0380s) ICMP [192.168.0.1 > 255.255.255.255 Echo request (type=8/code=0) id=1413 seq=126] IP [ttl=64 id=58857 iplen=42 ]
SENT (130.0500s) ICMP [192.168.0.1 > 255.255.255.255 Echo request (type=8/code=0) id=1413 seq=127] IP [ttl=64 id=58857 iplen=42 ]

and don’t see any updates on DHCP window. Anything I maybe doing wrong? :frowning:

@Fox_exe @Bennor - Any idea what may be going on? Will really appreciate any pointers.

@eklovyam No suggestions or ideas. Years back I gave up trying to get OVM to run on a first gen single bay My Cloud after spending several hours trying to make a go of it and make it work. Went back to using the v4.x firmware. It appears some are more fortunate and able to get OVM to work on their device(s).

is there an update for OMV from WDMycloud 1gen? I currently have version 2.0.2 installed but it is quite old and the plugins and the omv.extras.org service do not work

Hello everyone,

I’m a little lost. I have a WDMycloud gen1 and would like to install OMV on it. As far as I understood I need to install CleanDebian first. I want to do this with the Autoinstall script. But how should the folder strucutre look like? Should I extract everything also for example “CleanDebian-Jessie.tgz”?

Many thanks in advance and best regards,

Ok I guess I really messed something up. My “mycloud” interface is now gone. I uploaded the files in a different folder (not public) and run the install script. But now I can not install samba or anything else. Who can support here?

Anyone any idea?

EDIT (2022-01-01)
It seems this build freezes when rebooting after the first setup. I’ve chosen to leave it up as someone here in the community may be able to diagnose the problem and provide some input.

Hello All - I’ve been a “lurker” here looking for info to keep my old MyCloud-Gen1 going. I learned quite a bit here but wasn’t happy with the results (Windows 11 not liking the old SMB version of OMV2, etc). That said, I’ve managed to bring the Debian/Jessie install up to date (as possible) and have OpenMediaVault 3.0.1 (Erasmus) installed. Details are as follows:

SSH Login: root / mycloud
OMV Login: admin / openmediavault

INSTALL (via plugging the drive into another Linux computer. ‘*’ would be replaced based on mount point):

mdadm --stop /dev/md*
mdadm -A /dev/md0 /dev/sd*1 /dev/sd*2
dd if=kernel.img of=/dev/sd*5
dd if=kernel.img of=/dev/sd*6
dd if=config.img of=/dev/sd*7
dd if=config.img of=/dev/sd*8
dd if=rootfs.img of=/dev/md0

First Run: You need to unmount the data partition (sda4) via console and utilize the web-gui to mount it. This creates the proper mount point in the OMV settings. Once this is done edit ‘/etc/fstab’ and comment out the ‘sda4’ line.

SSH in as root - ‘umount /dev/sda4’
Go to “Storage / File Systems” and mount /dev/sda4
Return to console and run - nano /etc/fstab
If OMV correctly mounted the data partition you should see some lines added at the end similar to this:

[openmediavault]
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD20EFRX-68EUZN0_WD-WMC4M1702481-part4 /srv/dev-disk-by-id-ata-WDC_WD20EFRX-68EUZN0_WD-WMC4M170$
[openmediavault]

Comment out (or remove) this line

/dev/sda4       /data   ext4.....

Save and close.

LINK - DebianOMV3.tar.gz

1 Like

Hey @Fox_exe …i have opened my WDMyCloud and mounted it on a Linux VM…i can see the /etc/network /interfaces file …can you suggest what can i put there so the drive will get connected to my network when i plug the cable in?

@Fox_exe, is there any chance of building Linux with a much newer kernel, or are we stuck with 3.2?

There is no sources for Comcerto CPU in mainline kernel. And there is no newer sources from another devices with this cpu.
So - no updates.

Looks like there is work being done here for a recent kernel.

• All data removed due situation with Ukraine -
    Does sanctions vs Russia works? Nope. Its like my “sanctions” vs whole world - it is worked? No, but who cares?
1 Like

I installed OMV with Bullseye on my WD My Cloud Ex2 device.
kernel v5.10.109
I prepared a guide.
There is no need to flash the native UBoot; you can load the new kernel on demand or by default keeping the original fw as it is, for safety and rollback procedure.

Guide and repository is on github /gisab WDMC-Ex2
#WDUserRewards

In reply to @Fox_exe 's first post: People are very judgemental these days. I don’t hate you. I live in a country where my government embarrasses me all the time too. It’s not your fault. Don’t let hate people make you bad.
Peace.

No, please don’t say that.
You shouldn’t be pessimistic.
I just created an account on this site when I was just browsing for possible future things that I’d buy, and found your post and I got really sad.

Although personally I am 100% against any kind of military operation, it is never on countries or people in it. We can only blame the leader who makes a bad decision but not the people.

Please cheer up and just remember that your part in the community is really important and valuable and a lot of people (might) depend on you.

2 Likes