Clean OS (Debian), OpenMediaVault and other "firmwares"

just saw that there is a folder for home series on your share. Still not supported? I have a home duo and really need some different software on it

Hi
firmware v03.04.01 pour the wd my cloud gen1 is not available anymore with the provided gdrive link.
Here is another link : This page is not allowed in the US

If one is looking for past single drive WD My Cloud firmware links see the following page:

Oh ! Great ! I didn’t see your post ! Ty :slight_smile:

Wd My Cloud Home support would be awesome. I made some research and found the followings:

I assume that we just need a skilled guy who combines the parts. PLEASE!

Probably not happening on the My Cloud Home. Often one has to use SSH to perform the steps to change/modify/install new alternate OS firmware on the My Cloud. The My Cloud Home does not offer the ability to enable SSH. The My Cloud Home is a completely different device than the My Cloud line as many have unfortunately discovered after the fact.

You are missing one point. I already have access via SSH to the My Cloud Home. There is a very well explained how to for installing Entware on that device to „jailbreak“ it. Just look around here.
But in my perspective Entware is not an alternative to a clean OS.

1 Like

Hi there !

I got an OMV install issue. on a WD MYCLOUD GEN1 :

Starting from a working DSM install, I wanted to install omv.
So :
1/ I installed flawlessly mycloud v03 to revert to normal situation
2/ Then I installed clean debian (jessie-64k), which runs like a charm
3/ After running jessie, I updated etc/apt/sources.list :
echo “deb http://anionix.ddns.net jessie-64k main” > etc/apt/sources.list
This update is mandatory to run
4/ apt-get update && apt-get upgrade -y

The system is up and running.

5/ Then, I tried to install OMV as explained there :
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B_6OlQ_H0PxVSHdDUnZXZWJBMUk

At the command “apt-get install openmediavault” (line 13), here is the error message I got :

Reading package lists...
Building dependency tree...
Reading state information...
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 openmediavault : Depends: perl:any
                  Depends: php5-fpm but it is not going to be installed
                  Depends: php5-cgi but it is not going to be installed
                  Depends: php5-cli (>= 5.6) but it is not going to be installed
                  Depends: php5-pam but it is not going to be installed
                  Depends: python3-dialog but it is not installable
                  Depends: xfsprogs but it is not going to be installed
                  Depends: python3-dbus but it is not installable
                  Depends: smartmontools but it is not going to be installed
                  Depends: nfs-kernel-server but it is not going to be installed
                  Depends: proftpd-basic but it is not going to be installed
                  Depends: samba but it is not going to be installed
                  Depends: samba-common-bin but it is not going to be installed
                  Depends: snmpd but it is not going to be installed
                  Depends: avahi-daemon but it is not going to be installed
                  Depends: libnss-mdns but it is not going to be installed
                  Depends: iptables but it is not going to be installed
                  Depends: rrdtool but it is not going to be installed
                  Depends: collectd (>= 5.1.0) but it is not going to be installed
                  Depends: quota but it is not going to be installed
                  Depends: lvm2 but it is not going to be installed
                  Depends: perl but it is not going to be installed
                  Depends: libjson-perl but it is not going to be installed
                  Depends: liblocale-po-perl but it is not going to be installed
                  Depends: proftpd-mod-vroot but it is not going to be installed
                  Depends: libjavascript-minifier-xs-perl but it is not going to be installed
                  Depends: xmlstarlet (>= 1.6.1) but it is not going to be installed
                  Depends: lsof but it is not going to be installed
                  Depends: rrdcached but it is not going to be installed
                  Depends: python3 but it is not going to be installed
                  Depends: python3-apt but it is not going to be installed
                  Depends: pm-utils but it is not going to be installed
                  Depends: wpasupplicant but it is not going to be installed
                  Depends: samba-vfs-modules but it is not installable
                  Depends: pciutils but it is not installable
                  Depends: python3-pyudev but it is not installable
                  Depends: python3-natsort but it is not installable
                  Depends: jq but it is not installable
                  Depends: python3-netifaces but it is not installable
                  Depends: python3-lxml but it is not installable
                  Depends: btrfs-tools but it is not going to be installed or btrfs-progs but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

So it is a dependance issue : the missing packets are not available in the jessie-64k depository nor are they in the openmediavault one neither (as far as I understand things…)

Could you please give me an hint about what to do about this issue ? Do I have to install back mycloud v03 and then reinstall, with the autoinstall procedure, omv from the scratch ?

TY :slight_smile:

Hello, Maybe I’m right here. Do I need to do the following section for installing Debain?

parted /dev/sda
rm 1
rm 2
rm 4
rm 5
rm 6
rm 7
mkpart primary 0% 1G
q
mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda1

when I enter the first line of the commandos in Putty “parted / dev / sda” comes “-sh: parted: not found”.

And where do I copy the following files?

# Copy uImage, uRamdisk and rootfs-jessie.tar.xz to /boot/boot

I think it will mean root / boot but where are the files coming from / public?

Hi,
3 years ago I was playing with my 1st gen WDmycloud and OMV. For 3 years it worked fine, but my HDD crashed sudenly and all is lost. And I have a question for you, people. Because it was working fine a lost track about news. What are now my latest options?
I have found old (small) HDD with OMV (last login was december 2015) and I would like clone it to a new HDD (4TB). On the HDD is this:
Debian 7 Wheezy
OMV version 1.17 (Kralizec)
Plex version 2.4.9 (Plex is crucial, my mom use it for tv shows etc. Plex is the reason why I used OMV in the first place. This is quite old version.).

And would like to know if this 3 years old setup is the latest and best I can get or if there are any new version and if it is worth to update. I noticed there is no progres from Fox_exe for 1st gen, that’s why I’m asking here. Is it possible to update some of it manually or should I leave it as it is?

Thank you.

Hey, I have a question: Is it possible to create a clean debian with an empty HDD? I tried the following (WDMC Gen2)

sda1 1GB swap
sda2 10GB ext4 (empty)
sda3 10GB ext4 (uncompressed jessie-rootfs.tar.gz)

UART:

But those files seem to be in place (and are present in jessie-rootfs.tar.gz archive)

Thank you very much for your work!

/EDIT

I found the error. The file system must be created without 64bit feature in ext4 (which is apparently standard in arch linux)

mkfs.ext4 -O ^64bit,^metadata_csum /dev/sdaN

It doesn’t work because it is for Gen2 (@Fox_exe made a mistake there). You can see it when UART is connected.

Did you find an answer to this? I have recently acquired a gen 1 and wanted to know what was the current best option.

I did not.
I installed clean Debian 8 Jessie and update it to the latest version of Jassie (had to change source.list, the first time I update to 9 Stretch and then had problem with installing OMV). And then I installed the latest OMV 3, install omv-extras plugin, Plex, Jdownloader, and made some tweaks for sleep mode here in the forum (folder2ram, move cache etc.), I also had to modify time for head parking in my WD Blue with Wdidle3, because I had like 3000 cycle-loads in two days (pretty idiotic, I think that’s why my previous HDD died). And it quite works, but it’s not perfect. Sometimes it doesn’t start properly on first boot, JDonwloader is useles (too slow), but thank God, Plex is working fine so far. Transfer speed from windows is only about 20MB/s and it causes quite high cpu usage (but can’t remember how it worked in previous versions). And sleep mode tweaks didn’t work for me anyway. HDD sometimes stops, but only like for 2-4 minutes, and then spins-up again. But I have no have time nor knowledge to fix it. I’m absolutely amatuer in linux system, only time when I used it was 3 years ago while I installed OMV to WD mycloud (and I forgot everything meanwhile), and now.
So that’s it. I have the latest Jessie and and latest OMV 3, it works, but is it the best configuration? Probably not. Will I change my configuration? Probably not, too lazy :slight_smile:

Hello everybody.
I just bought a WD Mycloud Ex2 Ultra.
I’m quite happy with it but I’d rather use an open system such as Debian instead of the WD Operating system.
Reading this topic I understand that this is possible to install Debian + OMV thanks to @Fox_exe work.

I still have one question: I formatted my 2 hardrives in RAID1 with WD interface.
Is it possible to keep this data of the disks in the process of installing Debian ?

How should I do it ? I tried to read the discussion about it but I can’t understand how to do if I don’t want to reformat the 2 disks and lose data.

Regards

I have another stupid question.
In case of any issue is there a way to restore the original firmware ?

I did a fresh install of clean Debian with update to Stretch on a new MyCloud Gen 2

I changed the hostname according to

That was a bad idea; when i try to log in with ssh i get a “Permission denied, please try again.” when i put in my password.

I searched here but found a dead link, and no idea how to fix it. preferably without opening the case to extract the harddrive.

can anyone help me?

also what would be the right way of changinge the hostname from “wdmc” without loosing ssh ???

Thx in advance for your help :slight_smile:

Forget what i wrote !!!
with the update the ssh config has changed, new rules do not allow for login with user root.
you can log in with another user (if you have one), and then switch to root with: “su root”
or you can edit that configfile to allow root access for root

unbricking with USB as described in
http://anionix.ddns.net/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Gen2/_Unbricking_en.txt
does not work.
tried two different usb 2.0 sticks, i only get a yellow light instead of the blue one when i swticht my cloud gen 2 on, but it seems to boot the system from harddrive. No telnet, still ssh with permission denied.

The USB-stick only works if the OS on HD is not bootable

startet fresh and changed hostname on debian 8 jessie with this manual:

change your hostname in:
nano /etc/hostname

added the line “127.0.0.1 whitey” in:
nano /etc/hosts

run this command:
/etc/init.d/hostname.sh start

change hostname with
hostname newname

check new hostname with:
hostname