Clean OS (Debian), OpenMediaVault and other "firmwares"

Just wanted to report a successful unbricking via magic ping & tftp (using dnsmasq and Uil Tessel’s rawping), and an installation of clean Jessie out of Fox_exe’s CleanDebian-Jessie.tgz. I was also able to use src_linux-3.2.68-wd.tgz from Fox_exe’s Developing directory to compile usb audio modules for my CM6206-based device. Everything works like a charm.

Enormous thanks and respect to you, Fox!

Changing from Raid 1 to 0 sound great. How do I do this?

Hi all,

Fox, I have a question. I still have been trying to get Debian running on my MyCloud Mirror (Gen1). I use this manual https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/armhf/install.pdf.en from Debian, but is it possible to boot the Mirror using TFTP? I have been trying to get the TFTP server running (using Ubuntu Server) but with no succes. Would it be easier to prepare a harddisk of the Mirror? I can remove one (keep as backup; is mirrored data) and experiment with the other one. Do I just format it and prepare it with Debian install files? I got both the armhf ISO and the netboot Studenten Net Twente - Index of /debian/dists/jessie/main/installer-armhf/current/images/netboot/ source but I feel like I’m at a dead end. Can you maybe point me in the right direction? Maybe it is possible to install the Debian (with script?) from the BusyBox. I have the feeling the BusyBox of the Mirror is very limited (no apt-get, etc.)

Main questions:

1. Is it easier/better to set up sever pushing Debian install via TFTP? Or better using prepared Harddrive
    1a. Is it possible to install Debian from the BusyBox OS itself?
  2. How do I prepare the harddrive? I have access to Ubuntu/Unix machine.
  3. How do I prepare the Debian install files so I can connect to the Mirror using SSH to finish installation?

I hope you can help me out. I think if I get little push I can do the rest myself.

Thanks very much.

In any way - you need UART for see what occurs in the console. And learn how it boots (Network configs, Driver’s configs, etc…)
Boot params (Boot config) placed in internal flash rom (Bootloader). Need UART for change it (If you want use you own partition layout on HDD)
Official debian installer wont work because WD’s devices not supported. So - official manuals wont work.
Manuals/info/howto/etc from RaspberryPI may help a little.

Hi Fox,

Thanks for your reply.

Fox, you earlier said that if you have the Mirror device you would like to make a Debian build for it. Do you still wish to do that? And, how long do you think it would take?

Take care!

Maybe a week, maybe a monht… maybe a few hours…
Depends on free time and desire.

Fox,

Sent you a PM!

No way to put a serial number in for the DSM anywhere?

Hi Fox, is there any chance to get DSM on MyCloud with firmware 2.x?

Chance? Yes. But need hardware for test.
For now i waiting WDMC Ex2 for tests (already in way)

Hey, i have tested samba4 with original firmware, its amazing.

I want clean debian with samba4 and omv.

I would install clean-debian, afterthat install samba4 and then omv. When i’m installing omv, samba4 will be replaced with samba3?

I have tried to install samba4 with omv just on my system, it doesnt worked.

Thank You

Install OMV, then Samba4.
If not work - need edit OMV dependencies (Or samba’s dep’s)

Hey guys!

First of all thanks for the great work!
I read about the chance to install a clean debian on a mycloud system and this was the only reason I bought one. Seems like I haven’t read enough.

So now I posess a mycloud running firmware v2.x.

I tried to install a clean debian system like advised in your tutorial. Problem is, the new v2.x. devices seem to have a different folder structure. There is no folder called “DataVolume” for instance. To enter my public shares I have to “cd” into “/etc/shares/Public”. I copied all needed files into it, made the “install.sh” useable und ran it.

Seems like the missing “DataVolume” folder isn’t the only directory that changed. Here are the messages which got displayed after running install.sh:

=============================================
Ok, lets go…
./install.sh: line 5: /sys/class/leds/system_led/color: No such file or directory
./install.sh: line 6: /sys/class/leds/system_led/blink: No such file or directory
Stop all processes…
killall: forked-daapd: no process killed
Stopping wdphotodbmerger
Stopping wdmcserver
Stopping wdnotifier
wdnotifier is already stopped
Recreate mdraid partitions:
/dev/md0 exist! Deleting…
Restoring raid…

Current device: /dev/ram
Upgrade device: /dev/md0
Upgrade part: /dev/sda1
Current raid status:

Personalities : [linear] [raid0] [raid1]
md0 : active raid1 sda1[0]
2097088 blocks [2/1] [U_]
bitmap: 1/16 pages [32KB], 8KB chunk

unused devices:

Creating new mdraid volume…
mdadm: error opening /dev/ram: No such file or directory
mdadm: unrecognized option ‘–wait’
Usage: mdadm --help
for help
mdadm: error opening /dev/ram: No such file or directory
for help
mdadm: Couldn’t open /dev/sda1 for write - not zeroing
for help
!!!
!! Something wrong: /dev/md0 not exist !!
!! Exiting now. !!
!!!

So it should be possible to install debian to it, but the directories in the install.sh have to be changed. Poorly my linux level is nothing more than advanced beginner, so I’m not able to do it myself. I know it should be pretty impossible to help me without owning a mycloud firmware v2.x, but I just wanted to keep my hopes up to run a clean debian.

Is there anyone who was successful installing debian on a mycloud firmware v2.x?

I already tried to install firmware v04.xx. to it, in hope that changes the folder directories, but there is no chance to get that done.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

You have WDMC Gen2 (fw v2.x), not Gen1 (fw v03.x and 04.x).
Its different hardware.
For Gen2 available only chroot with debian inside.

Is there a good reason why the DSM Shutdown/Restart menu options are disabled? I made a symbolic link from /sbin/shutdown to /sbin/_shutdown and the menu items seem to be working as normal now. It just looks like shutdown was renamed to _shutdown.

Just wondering if it’s a bad idea, me re-enabling it again.

shutdown renamed bacause some of synology scripts start shutdown device when you access to webgui (Maybe protection).

I just got a My Cloud 1 gen and would like to get DSM on it. My main computer is a mac. Does that mean I need to use the Boot recovery from HD script?
I don’t quite get the instructions of:
After login you can run md0 (or md1) and do what you want:
mdadm -A /dev/md0 /dev/sda1 /dev/sda2

or

mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level=1 --metadata=0.9 --raid-devices=2 /dev/sda1 /dev/sda2

What do i need to do in order to start with the DSM guide?
Can I really upload the files from the “Boot recovery from HDD” folder to any folder on the My Cloud and run
dd if=boot-sda6-recovery.env of=/dev/sda7
dd if=recovery of=/dev/sda6
reboot

What afterwards?

Thanks a lot!

DSM has been working fine for me, but it seems that occasionally, it just loses connectivity. I can’t get into the webUI, nor SSH. I check my router, and it doesn’t show the NAS connected via LAN.

If I power cycle it, it comes back on. The log file reports “improper shutdown” from when I restarted it, so it seems that it is still running, just not connected to the network. There’s no other info in the Log Center that would suggest there is a problem.

Any ideas what the problem could be?

I get an error while trying to install DSM. At the step: resize2fs /dev/sda3 I get the error:-sh: resize2fs: not found. What is wrong here?
I booted recovery using the method with this: http://anionix.ddns.net/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Gen1/Recovery/

No command is not mentioned in none of instrutions. (Therefore she is also not in Recovery)
For data partition you can use this command later (In OS).