Clean OS (Debian), OpenMediaVault and other "firmwares"

I had the freeze issue with Plex when I first scanned my collection of video and music.

After a reinstall I noticed my swap wasn’t mounted.   Check ‘mount’ to see if /dev/sda3 is as swap, if not try swapon /dev/sda3

1 Like

After the new install and a reboot, it didn’t come back up again.

I noticed an mdadm error with the run_me_after_reboot.sh

Perhaps it’s due to not saving the mdadm.conf?

hi olasptfc

thanks for hint. fstab was ok, however I had to use swapon -f to fix page size.

Now the swap is ok and plex server works.

My raid device keeps changing to /dev/md127 which I think is the cause for being unable to boot.

Followed some instructions but it’s not so easy to update & save the /dev/md0 settings.

Any possible fixes without a new install? 

Great work!!! :heart:

Samba is a bit slow for now (cloud -> pc : ~45MB\s, pc -> cloud : ~31 MB\s),

but it opens more flexibility

Installed Clead debian and webmin samba Version 4.1.11-Debian

The unbrick Method which is described here:

How To Unbrick your 2TB/3TB/4TB My Cloud

Its not very hard to do that, but after the installation you should do a fast factory reset to determine the real size of your hard disk.

hujanita wrote. “i have installed the plex media server… However, OS died while plex indexing large number of files. (…) Did you do some tweaking to make the plex server really working?”

No particular tweaks here. 

My approach was to switch all other non essential services OFF while Plex was doing the initial scan. Also I added one Library at time, allowing Plex to finish parsing one library before adding the next. This is indeed a very slow process compared to  MiniDLNA and may easily take a full day, One has to bear in mind that unlike MiniDLNA which just indexes the files, Plex goes go trough a process of trying to recognize each media file, comparing it with online databases, downloading the classificatory metadata and generating thumbnails etc…

Also, anyone running Plex on a MyCloud will likely want to switch off the automatic update features, since whenever it starts indexing stuff on it’s own it does take over the NAS and everything else will stall (SWAP starts growing as well).

I never had an experience where the OS “died completely”. It is still responsive, it just takes ages to do anything.

Once Plex finishes indexing files, it works reasonably well (I mean, fast enough).

The bottom line is that overall the MyCloud simply lacks the resources to run Plex smoothly,

I guess a combination of MiniDLNA with FileBotrunning from a more powerful machine might be a solution most will find more compeling.

hujanita wrote: “I had to use swapon -f to fix page size (…) Now the swap is ok and plex server works.”

Yep. Swap is key with Plex as it (ab)uses it a lot.

Did not need that step myself. I never got into/never installed firmware v.4… :slight_smile:

Hello,

First of all many thanks to Fox_exe for all the work! Спасыбо большое!

But actually the thread confused me a bit :wink: If I use the autoinstall script, I will be able to install the OS without opening the device’s case, won’t I?

Installing Clean Debian without OpenMediaVault will lock me out of the device, won’t it?

Thanks a lot for your help!

_“If I use the autoinstall script, I will be able to install the OS without opening the device’s cas_e?”

Yes. That’s the point.

“Installing Clean Debian without OpenMediaVault will lock me out of the device?”

No. You will be left without any form of “fancy” Graphical User Interface for managing the device but able to access and control it via SSH (console/command line). Subsequently it’s your option to leave it like that or to install administration tools providing interfaces such as:

1 Like

Or another ‘crazy’ way:  http://sourceforge.net/projects/xming/

Again, thanks a lot for the help!

pradeepzn wrote:

Great work Fox_exe and thanks for the guide. Since I have no linux knowledge I used the auto installation guide. After the installation I cannot access dev/sda4. I cannot see the partitions when i use fdisk. But can see it with sfdisk.

What should I do further? Please help. I dont need any raid functionality, I just want to install Minidlna and logitech media server on my device.

fdisk -l

WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on ‘/dev/sda’! The util fdisk doesn’t support GPT. Use GNU Parted.

Disk /dev/sda: 3000.6 GB, 3000592982016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 364801 cylinders, total 5860533168 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 1 4294967295 2147483647+ ee GPT
Partition 1 does not start on physical sector boundary.

Disk /dev/md0: 2047 MB, 2047803392 bytes
2 heads, 4 sectors/track, 499952 cylinders, total 3999616 sectors

Disk /dev/md0 doesn’t contain a valid partition table

Disk /dev/md1: 2047 MB, 2047803392 bytes
2 heads, 4 sectors/track, 499952 cylinders, total 3999616 sectors

Disk /dev/md1 doesn’t contain a valid partition table

sfdisk -l

WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on ‘/dev/sda’! The util sfdisk doesn’t support GPT. Use GNU Parted.

Disk /dev/sda: 364801 cylinders, 255 heads, 63 sectors/track
Units = cylinders of 8225280 bytes, blocks of 1024 bytes, counting from 0

Device Boot Start End #cyls #blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 0+ 267349- 267350- 2147483647+ ee GPT
start: (c,h,s) expected (0,0,2) found (0,0,1)
/dev/sda2 0 - 0 0 0 Empty
/dev/sda3 0 - 0 0 0 Empty
/dev/sda4 0 - 0 0 0 Empty

Disk /dev/md0: 499952 cylinders, 2 heads, 4 sectors/track

sfdisk: ERROR: sector 1076830729 does not have an msdos signature
/dev/md0: unrecognized partition table type
No partitions found

Disk /dev/md1: 499952 cylinders, 2 heads, 4 sectors/track

sfdisk: ERROR: sector 1076830729 does not have an msdos signature
/dev/md1: unrecognized partition table type
No partitions found

I also get this when typing “fdisk -l”. Is this normal?

I also get “swapon: /dev/sda3: swapon failed: Device or resource busy” at the end of run_me_after_reboot.sh command.

Why is this?

fdisk/sfdisk dont understand GPT tables. Use Parted!!!

“swapon error” - is normal. I fix it later. Nothing iportant.

1 Like

Hi there, thanks for this fantastic guide! Finally the Mycloud is usable…

I got CleanDebian with Plex running using the Cubox-i guide.

However, Plex wont scan or access my folders?

This is the folder where I have some movies just to test it: /data/shares/Public/Shared Videos/Filmer

But when I point Plex in that direction nothing happens. I read something about chroot binds, but I’m unsure how to do this. Any ideas? :slight_smile:

Oh I figured it out my self. The bind looks something like this when it’s done:

/data/shares/Public/Shared\040Videos/Filmer /data/chroots/wheezy-armel/media/Filmer none bind 0 0

Probably not the best way but at least Plex is working fine…

Thanks to everyone contributing here and a big thanks to the Fox for making this possible :slight_smile:

/Draken

Draken,

That is the best way to do it and how my Plex shares are set up.

Not had any type of freeze for close to a week now :slight_smile:

Runnning MongoDB, CouchPotato, Plex+DNLA, Transmission and developing with PHP built-in server and grunt task runner+server.   It can get a bit stressed at times,  especially when Plex is indexing or CouchPotato is doing something,  but it’s handling everything nicely.    Load average is 4.7, 4.7, 4.6.

Finally the box has become usable! 

@Fox_exe - Regarding the loss of md0 -> md127.   It appears that this happens when I do a apt-get dist-upgrade to jessie.   Any known problems with that?

1 Like

Precisely, it is just a matter of cloning the examples in the guideand create one or more additional bind mount points inside the chroot dir pointing to the real location of media files. Just be careful not to mess /etc/fstab or the device may not boot properly next time…

Example. To mount the full Public (standard MyCloud partitioning) directory in a chroot installed outside of the system partition (different from default example give in the guide):

Real location of files :                       Folder to be additionally accessible as “Public_Shares” in the root (/) of chroot:

/DataVolume/shares/Public            /DataVolume/shares/Public/programs/chroots/wheezy-armel/Public_Shares            none bind 0 0

red = root of chroot installation (place where chroot was installed and will be run from).

Result: the files will appear to Plex running within the chroot environment as residing in /Public_Shares. When adding a folder to a Plex library you will then indicate the location as /Public_Shares or /Public_Shares/Videos or whatever subfolders you may have there…

1 Like

Thanks guys, looks like I’m all set.

And thanks to everyone contributing to this thread :). I stumbled upon this thread by accident, and now my Mycloud is far more capable then it ever was before…

Keep it up!

olasptfc wrote:

Draken,

@Fox_exe - Regarding the loss of md0 -> md127.   It appears that this happens when I do a apt-get dist-upgrade to jessie.   Any known problems with that?

Try this: 

mdadm --detail --scan >> /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf

Ps:  https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/RAID_setup