Choppy DVD over network?

When playing DVDs (VIDEO_TS folder) from a networked Macbook Pro, the picture is very choppy. If I attach a drive directly to the WDTV with the same files, they plays fine. I have a gigabit network. 1080p MKV files play fine over the network. Could this be a bandwidth issue? I can’t imagine that DVDs take up more bandwidth than 1080p video?

If you’re using version 1.4.10 firmware, there’s a bug playing DVDs that are in VIDEO_TS trees that is exactly as you describe.

Yes, that’s what I’m using. So I guess WD is on it for the next release then?

I would hope so…

OK, thanks. Let’s cross our fingers then!

Since the two last firmware updates, in addition to choppy DVDs (Vob files) I now also experience the same issue when playing .avi files over the network. Both Vob and .avi files play fine from a directly connected drive, as do 1080p H.264 files.

Is this because of the same bug? Is anyone else having the same issue or does .avi files play fine for some over the network? I have a wired Gigabit network. 

Yeah, apparently the same bug is still present…

Thank you Tony for your amazingly quick reply!

Just to make sure, are you able to replicate the same issue at your end as well, i.e. .avi files play in slow motion and extremely choppy over the network?

why not try ripping a DVD to .ISO and see if that helps any? Only thing is your file size will be huge since you’re ripping everything. The LIVE is supposed to read DVD menus in .ISO format now.

I just played an .avi file over my network last night with no issues…hmmm.

I’ve been having the same problems with Avi’s over the network

they seemed to be working fine but with last update i started to have the problems

I also want to mention this is happening to me. I don’t normally watch video_ts files so I hadn’t noticed until a few days ago when I tried. Avi’s also are giving me trouble. MKV files (1080P) work fine. I suspect it’s not bandwidth.

doc69 wrote:

Just to make sure, are you able to replicate the same issue at your end as well, i.e. .avi files play in slow motion and extremely choppy over the network?

I can reproduce the VOB issue on WIRELESS (but my wired one works OK.)   I cannot test AVIs because I don’t have any.   AVI is just a container; one has to be concerned with the codecs INSIDE that are used.

DVD5 (single Layer) structure works fine on wired network. Higher Quality material like DVD9 with DTS over network is pain (connection via 1000mbit Lan on Windows 2008 R2 Server or Win7). The same Folder on USB-Stick works flawless without any trouble.  I think its a limited band-wide problem on LAN …

DVDs require little more than 12 megabits per second.

I have now been able to locate and replicate the problem. It’s the two latest firmwares, 1.04.10 and 1.03.49. When I rolled back to version 1.02.21, the issue is gone. The issue was that DVDs from VIDEO_TS folders and .avi files plays choppy over the network but not when played from a locally connected drive. And it’s not a bandwidth issue as 1080 h.264 plays fine. I sincerely hope WD will fix this shortly!