Check "Format" when creating the logical drive OR later with Disk Utility?

G Speed Studio R 12TB: I am changing the Raid settings from Raid 5 to 10.
At the point “Create Logical Drive” i made a a check (hook) next to “Format”, means it will be automatically formated once the Raid has been created.

Question 1: in terms of cooperation with “Sierra” Is it the best way or is it better to leave it un-marked and make the formatting later with Sierra disk-utility?

Question 2: Currently I’ve already marked the item “Format” there.
If I still want to format it with Sierra Disk Utility, can I “format over it” after building it?
Or do I have to start from scratch ("Delete the disk array…-and leave Format un-checked at “Create Logical Drive” ? thankful for an answer, Mike

1. It is the best way, just let the RAID creation and format happen all at once.

2. Yes you can format over it if you wish however it is not recommended to use APFS. Mac OS Extended Journaled is the proper way to format large capacity drives such as this.

Rydia, thank you very much!
Mike!

Dear Rydia!

The following still confuses me:

In the manual (G-SPEED_Studio_wTB_UserManual_0516_LR)
At p. 97 I found this info:

Disk Utility
……To format your logical drives using the computer’s Disk Utility, you must create your logical drives using the Wizard’s Advanced option or create your logical drives manually, and you MUST un-check the Format box.

Is it quite sure that I can format over it with Sierra´s Disk Utility (Mac OS Extended Journaled),
after i have already marked the item “Format” at the point “Create Logical Drive” ??
(after G-SPEED Software Utility has already done the formatting).

Where are the differences between formatting the logical drive with “G-Speed Studio Software utility” and MacOS Disk Utility?

I am so careful because I will then copy a lot of image data on the raid.

Maybe you have an answer for me,
thank you for your patience,
Mike!

That’s IF you want to use Disk Utility to do it, you are under no requirements to use Disk Utility to do the process. there are no differences in the format other than it is auto-named G-Speed Studio if the software utility does it.