Changed router cannot play mkv files anymore

I have been able to play any MKV file - “formal” or informal copy - with a Linksys WRT610n router.  I have upgraded to a Linksys EA3500 my player will not show any MKV movies.  I have upgraded but still the problem remains.  Any help would be appreciated.

PS. I have looked at some of the answers posted, with no answer - I only made one change, the router, and my files are stored on a server running xp.

How are you connecting to your server with the files on. Media server or Network Shares.

Have you gone into the “Network Setup” of WDTV Live and done a “Automatic” detection ?

The IP, Subnet,Gateway,DNS has probably changed since your “upgrade” to a different router.

Just a guess, off the top of my head

I was on network shares but I am not able to access it anymore - without a password??? - now I can only see the files through media server route, not as friendly…

@SaavWD

I know you’re gonna *cringe* …

have you tried the reset hole on the side near the side USB and see if that “Resets” the system and password ?

that’s the only way i know, to try resetting passwords.

But I can play avi movies, music and all my pictures…

How do you think those changes effect the MKV FILES only…

Oh I did when I reset it…I reset everything!!! Still the problem persists…

I was considering re installing the router but I could not figure out what to look for to make sure the files are visible or have access to the network shares…

The problem is that certain media servers only serve certain files. You have to get network shares back to view all files.

You say you cannot get network shares back without a password. Did you try using the dealt info and just press the tick button.

Do you see your network drive in Network Shares? What happens when you select it, does a box appear with anonymous in and password of stars? Have you just selected the right hand tick. What happens if you select that tick.

Hello, when I go to network shares I cannot get pass my router…it asks for a password…I have tried the router password and it tells me that it is the wrong password and, if I try the anonymous, leaving the password field blank, it tells me that there is no media in that current folder…

Still don’t u derstand why is asking me for an account, it should just ask me a password…my router does not have an account, as far as I know…

How do you know that it is the router that is asking?

Have you tried clearing the network share login in the setup menu and then using the default that comes up when you use network shares. Don’t change a thing in that box and just select the tick box on the right.