Change Display (Movie art view) and show description

I have used a tool called WDTVHubGen to pull through the Artwork of each film and their description.  Having just got my WD TV Play, I was hoping to plug in my External HD and see my films by cover.  How dissapointed was I when I realised it didn’t do this and that there was no way to change this.

Not only that, but I was hoping that as I hovered over the film cover, it would display the description at the bottom of the film auto scrolling so I could see what it was about.

Having come on the forums it would appear that neither of the above is possible AND that WD seemed to have stopped releasing firmware update for this device.

The sole reason I bought this was to act like a ‘Movie Library’ but it hasn’t done that at all.  This could all be fixed with a simple firmware update but unfortunately it doesn’t appear as though WD are prepared to do that so on that basis I will be looking to return my unit for a refund!

I would recommend that you study products before you buy them, because the Play was never intended to have that type of functionality, and the documentation and advertising reflects that.

Yes, WD could probably “fix” it by releasing new firmware with those new features, but why would they do that when they already sell a product that DOES do that?

Does anyone know of any products that will supply me with what I desire?

Thanks

The WD TV Live?

That looks more like it.  By the looks of it there are different themes too? How easy are these to apply?

Bane17 wrote:

That looks more like it.  By the looks of it there are different themes too? How easy are these to apply?

Easy – just load the file via a web browser.

Is there a website I can use to have alook at different themes?

I was under the assumption that the WDTV Play does not support “themes”

if you have a WDTV SMP / Live Hub … yes, they support themes (search the forum and you will find them)