Caviar WD5000AAKS . Broken 2 data pins (on each end)

Installing an extra drive today i knocked  my 500GB AAKS and heard something drop in the bottom of my case

When i looked two gold pins on the data connection of my drive have snapped off.

The cable will not fit even if it will work with 5 pins though i doubt it would.

It has important files on that i did not backup.

Can i buy a new logic board for it  so i can replace the connections ?

Has anyone any ideas please that may help get the drive going.?

thank you

baz

Have you had any luck getting your files off this hard drive?

The plastic piece behind the metal teeth-like pieces on the SATA slot (the connection from the hard drive to the motherboard) has broken off when trying to install this brand new hard drive. Dell has offered to replace the hard drive but this hard drive has ALL of my data on it. Please help. Can this piece be replaced or fixed to allow it to be installed and the data removed? Please help

bazzuk wrote:

Installing an extra drive today i knocked  my 500GB AAKS and heard something drop in the bottom of my case

When i looked two gold pins on the data connection of my drive have snapped off.

The cable will not fit even if it will work with 5 pins though i doubt it would.

It has important files on that i did not backup.

Can i buy a new logic board for it  so i can replace the connections ?

Has anyone any ideas please that may help get the drive going.?

thank you

baz

We don’t sell logic boards for the drives.  As a matter of fact, another logic board probably wouldn’t work, or it could make retrieving data even worse.  You’re looking at data recovery.

Normally you cannot just replace the PCB on modern drives. This is because the PCB stores unique drive specific calibration data. When you replace a PCB, you must transfer these data from patient to donor. If there is a serial EEPROM, then you can transplant this chip. Otherwise, these “adaptive” data may be stored within the large Marvell MCU. If you can upload a photo to a file sharing service, one of us may identify the chips for you.

See the following articles for help in identifying the components.

HDD from inside Main parts:
http://hddscan.com/doc/HDD_from_inside.html

WD Pc easy Faultdiagnostic troubleshooting must try it …
http://forum.hddguru.com/easy-faultdiagnostic-troubleshooting-must-try-t12319.html