Caviar Black WD2002FAEX slow write speed

I just bought a 2TB Caviar Black hard drive to use as a second hard drive to record my gaming with Fraps. I installed it, initialized it and all seems great until I read/write speed tested it with CrystalDiskMark, Passmark and DiskMark. Read speed is 140MB/s and write speed is 7MB/s with Crystal, write is 1.81MB/s with Passmark and with DiskMark write is 4.65MB/s avg and read is 185.25MB/s. A week ago I bought the 1TB Caviar Black and had the same issue. I thought it was a damaged/defective drive so I exchanged it and paid the extra for the 2TB. I figure the chances of both drives being damaged/defective are slim and I got the same results with both drives when testing. What could be the cause of such an extremely low write speed while having a great read speed? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Solved.

Apparently the only SATA port on my motherboard out of 6 that will let the drives function to their potential is the first one. I tried my new drive in 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 with the same results. Put it on #1 and voila, lightning fast. Now my main hard drive is getting stupid low speeds but the new WD drive I wanna record to while gaming is super fast. Not the drive. Just the ports, now I need to figure out how to get the ports back up to speed if possible.

1 Like

Thanks for posting the solution

I was baffled with this query 

1 Like

Out of curiousity… what motherboard are you using?

I wonder if it’s a Windows issue or a BIOS issue, or something else.

I would boot from a Ubuntu Live CD, say, and then copy 100MB of data to a dummy folder on your slow drive. If the transfer still requires 20 seconds or so, then that would eliminate Windows as the cause.