Cause Freezing found! WD, PLEASE PUT THIS SITE BACK ON LINE ASAP!

Got up this morning, device hasn’t frozen but I suspect it’s going to as I can see the router Internet light once again blinking like its on speed. Once again narrowed it down to the WD live. Power cycled but same fervent activity continued once it was rebooted. Had to then head off but will see later on if it freezes - I’m not holding out much hope

The wdtvlive.com-URL [quote]http://www.wdtvlive.com/wsapps/appservice.svc/json/browseapp?user_name=wdtv&pid=wdtv&browse_category=ALL&start_index=0&num_request=0&fw_version=1.00.00&mac_addr=x&serial_no=x&location=US&language=en&app_category=ALL[/quote]
is reachable and responds with the necessary data, so your problem got to be something else.

Thanks. Maybe it will be ok when I return home to check. That site has been up and down like a yo yo so I suspect at the time it was offline again.

If your router is capable, maybe logging the traffic coming from and to the WDTV might help finding out what it’s trying to do. A blinking LED could mean anything.

Unfortunately that site shows as down for me, as a result incessant router activity caused by the WD and it eventually freezes. It seems to be up and down like a yo yo and causing all the grief

You’re right, currently it’s down again.

To make things worse, the WDTV is also checking another URL, which just gives an error-page too:

Fun.

Yep pretty disgraceful that the device is being rendered unusable due to WD and its over reliance on contacting the site - from what I understand if you use the dns trick it will still eventually freeze anyway. I raised a support ticket over the weekend but have heard zero back. At the moment the device is only good for about 20 minutes. I get the impression the site is up for short periods and then goes offline again. Trouble is during daytime I don’t get opportunity to check it.

I do accept that online features cannot be guaranteed forever on an ageing device but when it’s been designed in such a way as to render even local streaming impossible it takes the biscuit. Words fail me over the incompetence of WD during this whole saga. I guess if they don’t pull their finger out I’ll need to consider a rival make like Roku

A post was split to a new topic: 12345678910

It’s back online and no freeze at the moment - wonder how long that will last!

If this problem continues i will order a new media player. Im thinking of getting a Slice from Five Ninjas.

Yeah, I’m thinking the same. Certainly won’t be buying from WD again after this farce. What is a good cheap player to get? I’m not bothered about internet stuff such as Netflix or apps. I just want something that can latch onto my NAS devices and stream the content (mp4, mpeg files) via their Twonky Media Servers. When I look on Amazon at devices they are unclear, they all bleat on about casting, apps, Netflix etc etc but never seem to make it clear whether they can utilise media servers within a local network environment

The Slice isn’t cheap… but it works so well for my local files such as MP4, avi and mkv. I watched some of their videos on YouTube the software is really easy to use.

Like you i don’t care about Internet stuff for my media player, I just want a device that works perfectly for my local stuff.

WDTV was great, now it just a nightmare to use.

Thanks, I couldn’t find it on Amazon but then I googled it. Looks very good. Have a tight budget so might have to wait a while - this is why the WD being unreliable is such a kick in the teeth. Cannot easily afford to play their game.

Potentially the WDTV is great but as you said it’s been a nightmare. It would be easier take if the hardware was playing up with age but when you know it’s software and WD mucking us about with websites that are either unreliable or they are purposefully taking offline it’s much worse.

GREAT fix - this worked for me!

Blocking the website in my router sadly hasn’t worked for me.

My WD TV is showing all the symptoms that I’ve read about here and in other threads. Freezing, rebooting after 5–15 mins of use. However, no error messages about low memory, as I’ve seen mentioned by others.

The spontaneous reboots come when playing 720p content and 1080p content at low and high bitrates.

I’ve tried downgrading from the current 2.30.20 to 2.01.86, and to several previous versions, but the problem still persists. I’ve tried blocking wdtvlive.com, as mentioned above. I’ve tried playing video from a USB stick with the network cable unplugged. Nothing so far has worked.

If anyone has any further suggestions, I’m all ears!

The “wdtvlive.com/wsapps/appservice.svc/json/browseapp”-site is reachable, though.
I have wdtvlive.com blocked (i.e. responding with NXDOMAIN) in the DNS-service of my router too, and the WDTV (2.03.20) is up and running for weeks now without needing a reboot.

5 years later and this is still an issue!!! Blocked “http://www.wdtvlive.com/wsapps/appservice.svc/json/browseapp” on my router and the “Page Unresponsive” Error RESOLVED IMMEDIATELY. What complete and utter BS. WD should be ashamed. Thanks for the resolution.