Capacity Upgrade

OK, so here’s the story
I have the 6TB MBLD and one of the drives recently died.
Since WD green was discontinued, I checked with WD support what should I do and they said it can work with WD Red
I wanted to take the opportunity to upgrade the capacity and checked with WD if I can buy 2x4TB and they said yes - you can upgrade the storage capacity

After I connected the 2 Red 4TB drives, the MBLD would not load - had the yellow light on all the time and was not picked up by the router - i.e. did not boot

So I shut it down, put the original working 3TB drive and then it loaded and initialized the new drive.
After that was done, I shut it down again and replaced the 3TB with the second 4TB drive
Now both 4TB drives were initialized and show as 4TB drives (under thee storage menu), but I still see only 3TB (I use RAID 1 of course)

I read all the articles about de-bricking but it seems very strange, there must be a simple way to initialize the 4TB drives properly
Anyone has any advice?

P.S - sorry for the long post but I think the background is important

Thank you !

Hello mickeyc,

Maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/support/case.aspx?lang=en

Hi @logan.h

I did contact support but not getting an answer from them yet
This really makes me angry because I bought these based on THEIR advice!
I found this guide which is exactly my scenario (except he upgraded a 4TB MBLD and I have 6TB, so it’s actually encouraging)

But the disclaimer is alarming
I’m no dummy, worked in IT and know my hardware, but my knowledge of Linux is poor
Can anyone verify there is no risk in following this guide?

Thanks!

Hello mickeyc,

We have not tried this at our end and the solution posted my our community member should resolve your issue. However, Be aware as doing this will void the warranty of your device.

Also, We will not be responsible for any loss of data as a result of you following the guide
PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK.