Can't see the Playon Media Server on WDTV Live

Hi,

This is driving me nuts.  I can see my laptop as a media share as well as my WD MyBookWorld - but I cannot see the Playon media server… What gives???

Also - I assumed if I bought a movie from Amazon I would be able to play it on WD TV Live - but no joy.  It says it is a .wmv file, which I thought was playable…??

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

Can you see playon on other deivces? It may be a firewall or A/V setting on the computer hosting playon.

Not sure what you mean by other devices - only havy my laptop.

What could the other two issues be?

Thx

Wait a minute - tried my Xbox and I can’t see Playon there either.

Well, there’s a big clue. If playon is running ok on the host computer, it is being blocked there probably.  Check firewall and  A/V  to let it through… Playon forums I believe talk about this.

DANtMAN wrote:

Also - I assumed if I bought a movie from Amazon I would be able to play it on WD TV Live - but no joy.  It says it is a .wmv file, which I thought was playable…??

Hi Dan, welcome to the forums.  :)

The WD TV Live only supports WMV9 files.  I believe the Amazon Video On Demand files are the correct codec but have DRM that will prevent the WD TV (or pretty much any set top box) from playing them.

Any DRM protected files will likely fail to play on the WD TV Live.  It’s beyond the scope of these forums to help you find a workaround for that particular issue (legality).  

However, Google may help you find a solution (search for amazon wmv drm).  ;)

I tried some WMV HD samples from the Microsoft WMV HD Content Showcase, which I think are the same as the Amazon VOD files.  The 1080p video played smoothly and looked great but the audio codec does NOT appear to be supported by either the Live (or my AV receiver), so no sound.  :(

To be fair, they do advertise these (on Amazon) as having to be played on a Windows PC.