Can't rollback FW to 1.07 on SMP--doesn't see file

I want to rollback SMP to 1.07 & ditch the latest firmware that came out 2 days ago. I have followed

instructions on WD’ sits, I have unzipped the old Firmware to a thumb drive.

When I turn on SMP & plug in thumb drive, it does not ask me to sync or anything–it doesn’t

see the firmware files on the thumb drive.

The new firmware causes me to have blank icons in YouTube after viewing one video–I only use SMP for YouTube…very annoying bug in the new 1.08.

Are there new instructions on rolling back firmware --I followed everything WD has on the answer site to a T but SMP does not see the firmware files when I plug it in.

Thank you!

You have to download the special rollback firmware from the link below and follow the instruction. Have you got the detect new firmware switched on and ensure you put the 3 files from the rollback zip file into the root of a flash drive / hard drive with no other files.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5860

Before you rollback you could try resetting your player to factory defaults via the internal menu. That may overcome your problem.

There’s nothing special about these downloads. If you already have the normal updates on your hd, you can “make” these rollback-versions yourself.

Just change the version-number in wdtvlivegen3.ver with a text-editor (like Notepad) to something higher than the version you’ve got installed on your WDTV, i.e. VERSION=‘2.07.18’ or something.

Thank you richUk for the reply. That’s the method I originally tried and the downloads there are the ones I tried. I see from another reply that I may need to rename the file to a “higher version number”…will try that tonight when I get home. Thank you again!

Thank you schwurbel for the reply. Will give your method a try tonight when I get home…I sure want to get rid of the current version of firmware—old one worked fine for me…I’m new to SMP and I sure learned one thing—I won’t update to new firmware as soon as it comes out anymore!

I did finally get firmware rolled back to 1.07.18 after editing the .ver file with Notepad to a higher version number…sure glad to get rid of the new firmware 1.08! At least I have thumbnail/icons back on my YouTube vidoes after watching the 1st You Tube video. Thanks to all that replied!

schwurbel wrote:

There’s nothing special about these downloads. If you already have the normal updates on your hd, you can “make” these rollback-versions yourself.

Just change the version-number in wdtvlivegen3.ver with a text-editor (like Notepad) to something higher than the version you’ve got installed on your WDTV, i.e. VERSION=‘2.07.18’ or something.

The ‘special’ part about them is that they have already been edited…

ftaboxer wrote:
Thank you richUk for the reply. That’s the method I originally tried and the downloads there are the ones I tried. I see from another reply that I may need to rename the file to a “higher version number”…will try that tonight when I get home. Thank you again!

If you did indeed use the method I described then you would have no need to edit anything. The firmware on that page labeled Rollback_wdtvlivegen3_1_07_18.zip already has a ver file with VERSION=‘2.07.18’

However glad to see your problem has been resolved.

“The ‘special’ part about them is that they have already been edited…”

Downloading a basically identical 120MB-file for a single changed number sounds a bit excessive to me.