Can't reconnect; drive disabled, stuck on firmware update

My computer lost all connection with the drive when the LED went to white today. It’s been stuck on white for 13 hours.

I made no change and didn’t do anything to start a firmware update and hadn’t opened the Dashboard at all.

Previously it was working fine.

What do I do? How long is this firmware update supposed to take?

Does this mean the drive starts the update automatically? I thought you had to go in to the dashboard to do it.

I tried resetting the drive and restarting the computer.

You always need to start the update manually, try pressing the reset button on the back for 4 seconds if that doesn’t help you might need to disconnect the power cable. 

Alucardx23 wrote:

You always need to start the update manually, try pressing the reset button on the back for 4 seconds if that doesn’t help you might need to disconnect the power cable. 

• *> OK thanks. I tried the reset button, and disconnecting power. Didn’t make any difference. LED is still white and drive is completely disabled.> That still leaves the question of how the drive could start a firmware update itself without any action on my part.> BTW the top LED at the ethernet port is blinking green; bottom is solid green. On the port at the computer, one is solid green and the other is blinking orange in a regular on-off pattern, not the kind of blinking that you usually see.

I have the same proble. I wrote to WD support but I haven’t any answer yet. 

Did you find any solutions?

WD told me the drive is completely dead and nothing can be done whatsoever. They’re sending me a new one.

I have to send them my old drive which means thousands of files with my personal information will be in WD’s possession. Naturally this is a staggering security risk.

I had just backed up all the data to a different drive. I don’t know what would happen if I hadn’t. I guess everything would be lost.