Can't open passport 0730

Can anyone help me with this ?

I connect the passport to the USB drive,

WD smartdrive unlock appears on the screen.

I enter the password ,it says “your drive is now unlocked”

then the computer freezes up,and nothing works until I pull the drive from the USB,then everything springs back to life.

In device manager there’s a yellow triangle over ‘WD SES Device’ and in the properties of this item it says 

“WD Drive Management devices,This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)”

In disc management,it doesn’t have a drive letter says ‘unallocated’ when I try to initialize it it says " this media is write protected" then I enter the password and computer the freezes up again.

I’ve tested it with ‘Data Lifeguard’ and it fails ‘too many bad sectors’

Anyone any ideas? I really just want to get the files off somehow.

UPDATE.

the computer no longer freezes up on unlocking the device,and it shows in disc management as basic online and unallocated with no drive letter.

I clicked to initialize it but no change and now the option is no longer there.

I’ve tried a string of partition recovery programs and all say no partion found.

I want to try Recova but as there is no drive letter I can’t.

I read on a forum somewhere,that if I convert the drive to a simple drive in disc management,the data won’t be removed by windows,and then I should be able to recover it with Recova,because it will have a drive letter.

Has anyone ever trid this, and does it work?

sounds risky to me,but I’m running out of options …

Try reinstalling the drivers for the unit, you can download the drivers directly from the wd web site.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/search/1/a_id/5419

Thanks, I’ve tried that twice … no change

UPDATE.

the computer no longer freezes up on unlocking the device,and it shows in disc management as basic online and unallocated with no drive letter.

I’ve tried a string of partition recovery programs and all say no partion found.

I want to try Recova but as there is no drive letter I can’t.

I read on a forum somewhere,that if I convert the drive to a simple drive in disc management,the data won’t be removed by windows,and then I should be able to recover it with Recova,because it will have a drive letter.

Has anyone ever trid this, and does it work?

sounds risky to me,but I’m running out of options …

Final Update…

Went for it,

converted to a simple volume without formatting and gave the drive a letter.

I then ran recover ,to be told it dosent recover from Raw and the drive needs to be formated…

Seeing the end of the road for this drive,I thought what the [Deleted] ,and hit format drive ,about 5 seconds into the format the computer froze up again.

I then threw the drive out the window …