Can't map My Cloud Home on Windows 11

I’ve just bought this NAS and I have been trying for the past week to map as a local drive and it is impossible! The only possibly useful comment in all the WD help articles is to login with a local account, then mapping should work. The problem with that is that there is no way to actually sign in to Windows 11 Pro using a local account!!
Also, the fact that the Discovery desktop app now doesn’t work means I now have a completely useless white box that I can only access through a web browser or my phone, which is frankly ■■■■!!
Even right now the WD site still says “Desktop Sync
Keep your favorite folders from your PC and Mac computers in continuous sync with the My Cloud Home device.
That clearly isn’t true, as they now don’t have a functional desktop app and any methods of mapping aren’t compatible with Windows 11 22H2.

I really hope that someone out there has had the same trouble as me and has a suggested solution. I’d love if WD would bring back support for one of their desktop app, but I’m not holding my breath! :rage: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Win11 Pro local accounts are created all the time.

How to Create a Local account in Windows 11

I list 3 methods to Create Local account in Windows 11 apart from the Settings app which is known to all, starting from the UI to the command line.

1. Create a Local account using netplwiz
  • Press Win+R Keys to open Run dialog box.
  • Type netplwiz and press enter.
  • Click Add button.

• Click Sign in without a Microsoft Account. For Windows 10/11 Home, if you do not see that option, disconnect from the Internet.
  • Click Local account if prompted.
  • Type the username you want, and the password. You must also specify a hint. Click Next.

Thanks for the reply. I know how to create the local account, but if I try to actually sign in with that account it fails every time. Even if I do actually get that to work, it’s a pretty poor user experience from WD, I considering the reason they claim for stopping support of the desktop apps is to improve user experience.

In that case try resetting device settings and use a different browser such as Chrome if you are having problem authenticating your credential. If this is a sign in problem, you will need to have a browser that allows tracking cookies.

There is no problem with local access or mapping in Win11 pro. I still have about half a dozen of these MCH/IBI devices and they all work after a few tries.

Many Home users are not aware of how to clean up their botched Windows credentials because home users don’t usually run into this situation.

First of all, find the ip address of the network drive, MCH in this case, by using the router admin or commandline arp -a or use a free IP scanner utility. For this example, it could be 100.0.0.2

*EDITED
Some basic settings to start network access :

• Windows requires an administrator password

• Windows requires private networking and not ‘Public’

• Windows requires file sharing enabled.

Use Windows Search for ‘credential’ and select Credential Manager.
    Select Manage your credentials and Windows credential.

Under Windows Credentials:

If the server in question has an entry, delete it.

(Most likely it will not be present, if you haven't been here before).

•     Select Add a Windows Credential.

•     Enter the server (e.g. \\10.0.0.2\myShare).

•     Enter new desired credentials.

Now, when navigating manually to \10.0.0.2\myShare, it will not use the old credentials any more.

After adding the new credential, if the network share is not accessible, you may have to sign out and back in if Windows had already connected the share using a different credential.

I’ve tried your suggestion but still have the same problem. I’ve deleted and re-added credentials about 10 times, restarted my laptop each time, tried using the IP address and the \MYCLOUD address, but can never get past the screen below. I’ve tried mapping the drive as well as just opening it through Explorer and still get the same result. I’m out of ideas, and can’t figure out what the problem could possibly be.

(Attachment image004.emz is missing)

(Attachment oledata.mso is missing)

I’ve tried your suggestion but still have the same problem. I’ve deleted and re-added credentials about 10 times, restarted my laptop each time, tried using the IP address and the \MYCLOUD address, but can never get past the login prompt. I’ve tried mapping the drive as well as just opening it through Explorer and still get the same result. I’m out of ideas, and can’t figure out what the problem could possibly be.

Don’t really need to restart, just log out and back in at least once.

Don’t use Windows credential for the MCH local access credential. For example if your Windows admin is MJG1983, don’t use that for the MCH local name.

See if this helps:

John Turcich 101 Reputation points

Sep 20, 2020, 3:15 PM

I had this problem with a mapped drive to a NAS for a user. I added the name of the NAS as the domain name before his logon name “NASNAME\LOGONNAME” that appears to disconnect it from the AZURE directory and the drive mapped.

Gary Ford 65 Reputation points

Feb 21, 2023, 8:26 PM

Honestly, I am very frustrated with the way Microsoft keeps breaking basic interoperability that has worked for ever. That being said, I have found that using ‘.’ in front of the account will tell Windows this is a local user. i.e. ‘.\useraccount’ will allow you to connect where ‘useraccount’ won’t. That worked for me on my Azure AD joined workstation connecting to SMB shares on local NAS and Linux boxes.

Paul Busch 15 Reputation points

May 29, 2023, 12:26 PM

This issue happens after joining a system to Azure AD that was previously on a workgroup or local domain pointing to a local NAS. The correct way to solve this is to specify the local name or ip of the NAS in your user name. So username would be something like 192.168.x.x\username and then whatever password belongs to that username that would exist on the NAS. I tried using the .\username to force a local sign on, but that did not work.

rome njaka 1 Reputation point

Nov 15, 2022, 6:46 PM

I was able to solve this issue by simply starting my windows desktop with my ‘administrator’ account. I had done all the suggestions given and nothing worked. I even had to uninstall the last update I did for Windows 11 and it still didn’t resolve it. But when the idea to try logging in with my ‘Administrator’ account hit, I was surprised it worked and angry (lol) at the amount of time wasted reading up so much diverse suggestions and none mentioning a login as Admin! I hope this works for others like me! :slight_smile:

I have spent a lot of time getting My Cloud Home working with local user in Windows 11 Pro - also on chat with support from Western Digital - have also given them access to my PC for several hours on 2 occasions without their supporter being able to get local user access to work.

I have given up on Windows 11 Pro and heard no more from Western Digital after I claimed they have a bug in their local user solution in My Cloud Home from Windows 11 Pro.

Still hoping that Western Digital will correct their error in firmware against Windows 11 Pro - but I may have my doubts as they won’t admit they have an error.

I have set up local user access in Windows 11 Home without changing anything in Windows 11 Home and it worked on the first try.

Come on Western Digital and fix the bug against Windows 11 Pro !!!

Why would you automatically assume it is a bug with MCH and not Win11 Pro? I have a dozen Win 11 Pro systems running with MS ‘Local admin’ and never had problems accessing the MCH.

If a user installed Win 11 Pro without ever using a Microsoft online account and don’t use any Microsoft online software such as OneDrive and Outlook, then Win 11 Pro will not try to add the Microsoft account as the credential for network drives, which is what is causing the NAS error in Win 11 Pro.

If you ask Microsoft support and read their user forum you will probably come to the same conclusion that this is a bug in Windows 11 Pro that adds the Microsoft account name to the local user name in a credential for a NAS.

Andrew Lawton 15 Reputation points

Apr 15, 2023, 11:52 AM

I have pinpointed the issue. Having checked all the logs on my NAS firewall, it appears that Windows 11 tries to connect to the SMB server (on my NAS) using the microsoft account username(!?!?!) and not the correct username on the NAS, which is saved in the the credentials for the SMB share in Windows 11. I hope Microsoft fixes this issue really fast. What is happening: Lets say my username on the NAS is MrX and my password is 1234. My microsoft account on the Windows 11 laptop is (for this example) MrXmsAccount@live.nl When I first try to acces the SMB shared folders on my NAS using Windows 11, I provide the username “MrX” and the password “1234” and as a result Windows 11 can access the shared folders. I allowed Windows 11 to save these credentials. The next time Windows 11 tried to access the shared folders on my NAS it provided the following credentials: username: “MicrosoftAccount\MrXmsAccount@live.nl” (instead of just MrX) and password 1234. Please fix this microsoft, this cannot be by design…

I am not sure why so many third parties have to provide technical support for trillion dollar companies such as Microsoft and Apple, but the fact is they produced buggy operating systems and software that borders on being unmanageable and unsupportable. This is the main reason I sympathize with supporting companies such as Western Digital which tries to provide compatible software and hardware and then realized it is just unprofitable to pick up pennies in front of the behemoth steam rollers that are Apple and MSFT trying to roll over it and the consumers.

Here is one possible solution to map the My Cloud Home within Powershell without having to use Windows File Explorer, assuming MCH local access has been enabled with the name ‘mch1’ and password ‘123456’. Replace the Mycloud-0AAAAA with the name of your your My Cloud Home and respective username and password as well.

Right click on Win11 Pro Start icon and pick ‘Windows Powershell (admin)’

PS C:\Users\Admin> New-SmbMapping -LocalPath 'Y:' -RemotePath '\\Mycloud-0AAAAA\mch1' -UserName 'mch1' -Password '123456'

Status Local Path Remote Path
------ ---------- -----------
OK     Y:         \\Mycloud-0AAAAA\mch1

Example of Windows 11 Pro working with network file server such as the MCH.

Imgur

Thought this might be interesting to get MCH working in Windows 11 Pro, but it seems I don’t quite understand it - can someone explain to me what I’m doing wrong?

MCH is created with local user: “fml” code: zaqwerty7

If you are getting ‘System Error 86’ which is just wrong credentials, it may help to do some basic house cleaning by running ‘Windows Credentials’. This has already been described above. It may help to delete the existing ‘fml’ credential, recreate it and log out and log back in.

If all else fails, it is sometimes easier to just start over with a new Windows installation. I know that is something no user wants to hear, but a Windows 11 new installation (not upgrades) is relatively fast with SSDs and generally there is no credential errors such as those described in this thread if one follows the 'How to Create a Local account in Windows 11’ method in the second post above.

If you are trying to use Guest Access in Windows 11, follow the Microsoft Article linked below:

SMB2 and Guest Access

Guest access in SMB2 has been disabled by default in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update version 1709 and higher and Windows 11.

Guest logons do not support standard security features such as signing, encryption and are vulnerable to man-in-the-middle attacks that can expose sensitive data on the network. Windows 10 and 11 disables “insecure” (nonsecure) guest logons by default. Enabling insecure guest logons is not recommended. For more information, please refer to Microsoft Article 4046019 Guest access in SMB2 disabled by default in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update version 1709

Resolution

Configure your third-party SMB server device to require a username and password for SMB connections. If your device allows guest access, any device or person on your network can read or copy all of your shared data without any audit trail or credentials.

If you can’t configure your third-party device to be secure, you can enable insecure guest access with the following Group Policy settings:

1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc) on your Windows device.
  2. In the console tree, select Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Network > Lanman Workstation.
  3. For the setting, right-click Enable insecure guest logons and select Edit.
  4. Select Enabled > OK.

Note

If you need to modify the Active Directory domain-based group policy, use Group Policy Management (gpmc.msc).

For monitoring and inventory purposes, this group policy sets the following DWORD registry value to 1 (insecure guest auth enabled) or 0 (insecure guest auth disabled):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\LanmanWorkstation\
AllowInsecureGuestAuth

To set the value without using Group Policy, set the following DWORD registry value to 1 (insecure guest auth enabled) or 0 (insecure guest auth disabled):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters
AllowInsecureGuestAuth

Thanks for your help, and the comment from John Turcich. I created a local account that had a totally different name from my main logon, and then using the NASname\LogonName method seemed to work straight away. I should be able to start making full use of this drive now, so it’s more than just a doorstop! :grin:

1 Like

Hello, I have tried this but still getting Access Denied. Would you please elaborate more from John Turcich? TIA